Peg board cabinet done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Well, except for hanging it. Here it is on the floor:

peg-cab.JPG

With the plans I printed after the dog ate part of my original set.

Here is where it is going:

peg-cab-wall.JPG

I went with construction grade lumber to save money and frustration. The money is obvious, but the frustration factor is a little more subtle/personal - I am really not that good at casework. I did not just slap this together willy nilly, but there are a few mistakes that would have really bothered me if I were trying to make it look like high grade furniture. Anyway, I am aware that the bottom joint really needed to be tight fitting hard wood and mine is neither, so I reinforced that:

peg-cab-corner.JPG

I hope to get it hung this afternoon and will likely post another pic or two tonight.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Nice project Andy. It seems like a nice way to maximize space and you can always rearrange your stuff if its purpose should change over the years.

Don't sweat your substitutions. You saw something you wanted to make and actually made it. :icon_thum

CarvedTones

Andy
I am not disappointed in it at all. And while it isn't furniture grade, I may still give it a rattle can of white before I hang it. It will look better on the wall; it needs to be attached to something to stay good and square.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
It looks great, Andy. And very functional. I've been needing to build one for awhile, maybe 2009 will be the year it gets done.
ken

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I can't tell you how many book and magazine pages I have dog-eared with things that "I need to make for the shop". Some people prefer to build things for their shop, and others prefer to build a shop to build things.

Was that from Fine Woodworking? If so, which issue?

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Nice work. I have looked at that plan also - placing it on my list of things to build.

Duane

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
I forgot to finish the thought from above..... my point was that just because something is not built exactly as called for in a plan, doesn't take away from the fact that something was built! Now where's my cup of coffee? :eusa_thin

CarvedTones

Andy
Grrr - I hates rattle cans! Well, at least the cheap ones I bought. 3 barely got it started! Oh well; I have some brush on Rustoleum enamel that I can use to finish up with it up. The partial coverage is enough to force me to get that done.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I forgot to finish the thought from above..... my point was that just because something is not built exactly as called for in a plan, doesn't take away from the fact that something was built! Now where's my cup of coffee? :eusa_thin

Plans are just kind lines anyway - nice job Andy- I am guess that you want the back open - one thing you might want to consider is to cut you some 45 degree corner blocks for each corner and that will help hold it square as well

CarvedTones

Andy
Plans are just kind lines anyway - nice job Andy- I am guess that you want the back open - one thing you might want to consider is to cut you some 45 degree corner blocks for each corner and that will help hold it square as well

Thanks; you lie pleasingly well. :rotflm:

Look at the picture of where it will go - the back is open because it is a pegboard wall. It is about 2' wide so each of the stretchers will span 2 studs. Once it is screwed in place it will stay square (assuming I square it before I screw it in :) ).

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good addition to the shop!
I'm looking into making a table and I'm just not getting excited about it. I want this, no that, no that was right the first time, etc etc etc.
I need to just build it and decide as I go.

Nice job on your cabinet. I get wrapt up at times with appearance vs function. Seems every time I make something that I'm really happy with, someone else decides they want/need it more than I do! I've been known or at least accused of making a few oopses here and there cosmetically to discourage pilferage:wink_smil
the shadow knows.....

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Great job Andy! I've built about four of those cabinets for myself and for relatives. They work great! :icon_thum

CarvedTones

Andy
I actually hung it a few days ago and have been fiddling with what to put where. Here it is:

shop-org.JPG

Here is a picture of that area before I got motivated to organize better:

shop14.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS