Onway Talon and PSI Barracuda chucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Has anyone ever intermingles jaws from these two chucks????? They look to be exact clones of each other. I would like to get some Cole jaws (flat jaws) for my Talon and would much rather pay the $30 for the PSI set that goes to the Barracuda, instead of the $90 for the identical looking Oneway set.
Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I have no idea whether the jaws are interchangeable. That is one reason I chose to use Nova chucks. Their jaws, with one exception, are interchangeable on all of their chuck products. The super powergrip jaws for the Titan will not fit the smaller, Nova, SN, Midi and SNII chucks but all the jaws that fit the smaller chucks will fit the Titan. I read a discussion on another forum where the Nova products will now be made in China so who knows what will happen when they are made out of lead paint over melamine with anti-freeze as a lubricant....

As Mike Davis said, jaws for the Talon will not fit the Stronghold even though they are from the same manufacturer.

Recently I saw where Craft Supplies was selling replacement jaw slides that would allow Stronghold users to use Vicmarc jaws. Perhaps the day will come when jaw slides will be available for other chuck brands as well.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
David not sure if you can do what you want to do. Looking at Packard catalog, Talon flat jaws cost $37.95 and Talon Jumbo jaws cost $84.95

You might want to take a look at article "How to make Cole (jumbo) Jaws for Lathe."

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_123.shtml

Also might take a look at making a Longworth Chuck. Thought there was a pretty recent article at woodcentral.com, but couldn't find it. Might have a look at woodturningonline.com under chucks.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Hi Dave and fellow contributers,

I was posting a reply when the site exploded last night so I am probably going to put some spin on this that has already been spoken.

I have the same issues. I have a griz knockoff and it would be hit or miss trying to find a set of Coles to fit. HOWEVER, I found a couple cool accessories that I want to build this weekend and will probably eliminate the need for a Cole Set.

longworth2.jpg a Longworth chuck

longworth3.jpg Another view

Doughnut.jpg Doughnut chuck,, "doughnuts,,,mmmm"

Wobble.jpg and a Wobble Chuck, which I think could be improved for safety sake by bolting in of blocks on each side of the open face area

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Wildwood and David, those really give me some good idea of what I can do. I think some plywood and time is gonna be cheaper than even a PSI set of Cole jaws :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc
Dave:)

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Here are some directions for making a Longworth Chuck, this guy uses a nut instead of a face plate.

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_485.shtml

The first donut chuck ever made was done completely on the lathe, didn’t have a band saw. Simply bolted piece of 2x6” to face plate, with ½” plywood bolted to 2x6. Turned on the lathe, with gouges and parting tool go her done. Don't recommend this method, pieces of wood can and will fly. Still have that chuck, have replaced the foam rubber couple of times.

Since getting my band saw have made a few more in various sizes. Any kind of foam rubber or even masking tape will work with a donut chuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS