Newbie from the cold country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Palahniuk

New User
2jranch
Hey all,
Greetings from Wisconsin, and thanks for making room for out-of-towners.

My wife (June) and I are retired from over the road trucking, and previous lives in the restaurant (me) and truck dealerships (her); now we own a little under 200 acres of farmland in Western Wisconsin, raise about 1 Million broiler chickens per year for Gold'n Plump Poultry, and dabble with woodworking to keep sane. (Was that an oxymoron?)

We enjoy fishing whenever we can (which isn't much when you are babysitting chickens all the time), and the wife enjoys turkey hunting, bow hunting and gun season for deer, I do a little gun hunting, but not so much as she does.

I started making a few shelves and such in the garage, mainly to occupy myself while the wife did her ceramic thing, and then, we always needed shelves to put these things she painted. Well, after my second heart attack, and her losing one eye, she gave up the ceramics, and talked me into adding on to the garage with a 28 x 30 woodshop so that we could work together. (I still have bruises from her twisting my arm!) Her son framed it up, and we did the sheetrock, wiring, painting, trim work ourselves, and moved the old Delta table saw, the chop saw, and the cast router table, all of which were older than the two of us put together. Since then, for occassions like Christmas, birthday and anniv., she has bought for me (even though she uses them as much as me), a new table saw, slidiing compund miter saw, planer, joiner, drum sander, router table with a lift, DC, air filter, bandsaw, and numerous sanders and routers. We built a few shop cabinets, then went on to make things for the kids, like cedar chests, boat shelves, mantel clocks, gun cabinets........and that's what we do now. We don't feel we are in the league of many of the fine craftsmen we have encountered on the woodworking forums........but we are having fun learning.........and the kids and grandkids are happy.

So again, thanks for making the room for us, and we look forward to learning from you.

Jim

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Jim. Wow that was an introduction :lol: :lol: It's awesome to hear of a husband and wife who enjoy doing so many things together. See you around!

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Hi Jim,

Sounds like you and LOYL are a great team! We'd love to see your shop and projects. But no chickens -- seen one, seen 'em all! Happy to see your onboard!

Rob

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
But no chickens -- seen one, seen 'em all! Happy to see your onboard!

Rob

Sorry Rob, as best I can recall from my days with the 4H Poultry Club, there are something in the neighborhood of 100 different varieties of chicken, so you've got some more chicken-seeing to do :rolf:

Jim Palahniuk

New User
2jranch
I did enter some photos in the photo gallery here, I had most of them on the other site that is closing down, I just didn't know when those would be transferred here., so i didn't want duplicates.

This site is a little different than the other one, how do I add a photo to a post?

Jim Palahniuk

New User
2jranch
I think I messed up that post attempt...........I'm trying to attach a photo, I'll try again

Attachments

• wristwatch 002.jpg
    wristwatch 002.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 174
  • wristwatch 006.jpg
    wristwatch 006.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS