New Job (touch-up / repair man)

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

I took a part time job at night as a touch-up / repair man for a new furniture store that just opened. I'll be repairing case goods, fabric and leather. Sitting on my butt all day at the office is taking a toll on my mind and body. I decided to get out and do something in the evening that I really enjoy, repairing furniture. The first place I stopped, I got hired on the spot, I had no idea the demand is so high. I'm kinda excited, so please forgive me but am feeling a little like a kid again, which is very good for me. :-D

Guess this means more money for my woodworking shop, big plus!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That is great! I get to do that on an almost daily basis as part of y regular job. There is quite a demand for that kind of work, you may find that you will be repairing lots of stuff that was damaged in shipping. In fact, my company actually has a shop dedicated for that kind of work in Charlotte, and they can't keep people!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome, extra cash flow for the shop:icon_thum . Keep us posted on how the job goes.
Dave:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
A well-deserved gloat! But I hope your day work allows time for NCWoodworker :mrgreen:

Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Good deal Jeff. I'd be interested in hearing how you go about determining the pricing your repair work.

D L

J

jeff...

D L Ames - in 85 when I got married, I had my own business in the chicago land area doing touch up and upholstery repair. I contracted with several small furinture stores, music, a few moving and insurance companies. Back then I was charging $50.00 an hour which including travel time and had as much work as I ever wanted. I was young and quite stupid too, one day I just quit and gave away most of my tools and supplies. The strange thing about it, I don't even remember why, talking about stupid!

I really have no idea what the going rate is today, but I can say for a part time job at night where I go in and leave when I want to and really enjoy what I'm doing, I'm happy.

Like NCPete said, it's mainly shipping damage, busted corners, scatches, dents, loose joints, torn pannels and so on...

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
jeff... said:
D L Ames - in 85 when I got married, I had my own business in the chicago land area doing touch up and upholstery repair. I contracted with several small furinture stores, music, a few moving and insurance companies. Back then I was charging $50.00 an hour which including travel time and had as much work as I ever wanted. I was young and quite stupid too, one day I just quit and gave away most of my tools and supplies. The strange thing about it, I don't even remember why, talking about stupid!

I really have no idea what the going rate is today, but I can say for a part time job at night where I go in and leave when I want to and really enjoy what I'm doing, I'm happy.

Like NCPete said, it's mainly shipping damage, busted corners, scatches, dents, loose joints, torn pannels and so on...

Thanks Jeff. This sounds like a great idea for someone looking at supplementing their retirement.

D L

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I was thinking the same thing.... There is already a Furniture Medic like guy here in Fayetteville. IIRC, I have seen the office on Robeson, near the old hospital.

J

jeff...

NCPete, thanks for the information:icon_thum, I googled "Furniture Medic" and came up with http://www.furnituremedic.com/I had no idea a nationwide company like this existed, pretty interesting...

michaelgarner, Last night I spent quite a bit of time graining and filling a high end oak china. It must have come off the showroom floor, the top was badly gouged and scratched, I guess when they removed the hutch from the base. The manager came by the shop, looked it over and said the same thing, "you should take before and after pictures". Only problem is I don't have a working digital camera, guess I'll have to get one. I'm glad some find this type of work interesting, thanks much for the dialog.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Jeff,
I just dont find it intersteing as work, I actually need it for my furniture sometimes,,lol just kidding its not that bad, But when I make a piece of furntirue for someone I tell them that is covered for life, if its crafstmanshiop problems, but they do come back and ask to have me fix stuff, I normally take waaaaay to long to do this. I look forward to your info, if you have any book recomendations that would be awsome too, or maybe you could do a class. I would be there for that. be blessed friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS