My Delta DP350 Drill Press not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

williams130

New User
Craig
Hi Friends,

I used my drill press one day with no incident then the next day I pushed the button and.......nothing! :cry: I checked the circuit and it is fine. My DC works plugged into the same outlet. The DP350 has a built in light that is working fine but when I push the ON button to start the drillpress....nothing. Complete silence! I suspect it is the switch and have ordered one for about $21.00 from the Dewalt Tool Co on Capital Blvd in Raleigh. Since I purchased the drillpress about 30 months ago the warranty is no longer valid. I was expecting the switch today but when I called they said it is backorderd until January 8, 2007!! Considering it's the holidays and that I'll be pretty busy with family I guess I can wait, but I'd rather not. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem that they may have solved with a switch from Lowes or somewhere else. $21.00 seems kindof steep for a switch and if I can find a suitable replacement I could probably cancel my CC order with Dewalt Tool CO. I've attached a PDF drawing that I downloaded in case it may help.
Thanks,

Attachments

• DP350.pdf
    306 KB · Views: 299
M

McRabbet

I sure hope you checked to see if there is a motor thermal overload protector on the motor housing that may have tripped -- see if there is a red button on the non-pulley end of the motor and depress it. These guys can trip sometimes and can easily be the source of your problem (they are designed to trip before the motor gets too hot by drawing enough power to trip the house breaker). You may just have a dirty motor that needs a good cleaning with compressed air and it is not the main power switch after all.

Rob

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Sounds like you need to do some more troubleshooting. Is the light powered separately or is it powered through the drill on/off switch? Do you have a meter? Check to see if you are getting power to the motor. In addition to the thermal overload that McRabbet mentioned (though none of my Delta tools had them) another possibility is loose wire, loose ring terminal, or wire that came loose from a ring terminal.

As best as I can tell, your switch is the newer all-in-one type. I have two spare mechanisms for the older two-part switches where the start/stop button and plastic cover are separate from the actual switch mechanism (see pic) so I guess they are of no use to you.

DP-7.JPG

T

toolferone

First I am sorry your drillpress is broke. Call me at work tommorow or even better come buy with the drillpress (head only) first thing in the morning (9am). I will have a look at it. I also have a few extra switches lying around that should work. If you need the switch it is $5 bucks. no charge on the labor.

Wk 781-1911

cpowell

New User
Chuck
First I am sorry your drillpress is broke. Call me at work tommorow or even better come buy with the drillpress (head only) first thing in the morning (9am). I will have a look at it. I also have a few extra switches lying around that should work. If you need the switch it is $5 bucks. no charge on the labor.

Wk 781-1911

Way to go, Tom!!! :icon_thum

T

toolferone

Is that the variable speed Delta drill press? I have heard of several people with switch problems on that press. If it is like the vari-speed switch on their small jointer it is just a very cheap switch.

It is a mechanical variable speed. The switch is on/off only.

williams130

New User
Craig
Tom,

Sorry but I'm just getting on the internet since yesterday, I'll call you at Woodcraft. Thanks very much for your generous offer!

There is no thermal overload and I checked for loose wires. Thanks for all the replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS