mail order workbenches

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccormicksm

New User
Sean
Anybody ever order any benches online? If so how did you like it? The one i've seen the most of on line is called Sjöbergs but nobody in the area here seems to carry it in there stores and i'm pretty hesitant about buying something without seeing it in person.

Thanks
Mac

cskipper

Cathy
We haven't, but if you ordered them through a store, such as Woodcraft it should be okay. If you buy one in the store you get the top and parts to assemble. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will post later today.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have seen the Sjoberg (?) benches in Raleigh Woodcraft store, quite hefty! I don't think you would be disappointed.

Monty

New User
Monty
If you're talking about the bigger cabinetmaker's workbench on display at woodcraft - I agree that looks really nice. Pricey, but nice. The Nordic style workbenches are cheaper and have a serviceable top and vises/dog holes etc to get you going. That's just fine. The base, on the other hand, is not sturdy enough (IMHO) to stand up to the test of time. Woodguy has one in his shop, and that thing racks so much it's like a glider rocker! :lol: I think you won't go wrong to get one of those benches to get you started, as long as you anticipate that you will want to replace the base with something stronger at some point in the future.

T

toolferone

I agree with Monty, but they have redisgined the legs and are better. They would benefit from some added weight if doing much hand planning. The big benches are nice! We do have several models set up in the store to see.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
I have seen the Sjobergs in person in the Raleigh Woodcraft and was not very impressed. I guess I was comparing it to my own which is constructed of solid maple throughout. There are firms that sell/market heavy maple/beech workbenches, but you will have to do some research. If you really want a heavy bench, you may have to build your own. It is a great teacher in its own right, offering lessons in joinery, wood prep.
And I also suggest getting one of the books on workbenches at your local bookseller.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
Another option that is mid way between buy and build, is what I did. I bought a beech top online (Rockler I think) and built the rest. The main reason I did that was to experiment with different heights before I finalized everything. Still experimenting with the height but I added a vise, dog holes, and an apron out of SYP.

mccormicksm

New User
Sean
Thanks for all the input. The Nordic Plus 1450 was on sale at woodcraft and there was no shipping charge so that was what I ended up purchasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS