Mahogany Candlestick Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
This is the first thing I've made in a while other than bowls and pens, but it's all mahogany finished with 5 coats of amber shellac and 2 coats of polycrylic on the table surface. The legs were from a template borrowed from my dad (Larry Rose) and the spindle was my own design. I finished the edges with a 70 degree bevel on the bottom to make it look a little thinner and then routed the top edge with a 1/4 cove bit.

124_533x800_.jpg

123_800x533_.jpg

pviser

New User
paul
That is a really beautiful piece. The striking figure is enhanced by the simple lines and design. I would love to see a photo of the bottom surface of the table top, just so that I can take notes on the support and joinery. Thanks for sharing.

Randall Kepley

New User
Randall
Tony that is a very nice looking table my friend, one question though. Are you sure its Mahogany? I know Mahogany can be striped like that but if I were a betting man id say its Ribbon Sapele which is in the Mahogany family but is much redder than true Mahogany. Either way it looks great. R.K.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
That is a really beautiful piece. The striking figure is enhanced by the simple lines and design. I would love to see a photo of the bottom surface of the table top, just so that I can take notes on the support and joinery. Thanks for sharing.

Paul, I went really simple attaching the spindle to the top - I turned a 3/4" tenon on the spindle, then drilled a 3/4" hole in the square piece. My turning measurement was a tad off so it was a loose fit, but I glued it and tacked it together with brads, then just screwed it to the bottom of the table top.

001_800x533_.jpg

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
Tony that is a very nice looking table my friend, one question though. Are you sure its Mahogany? I know Mahogany can be striped like that but if I were a betting man id say its Ribbon Sapele which is in the Mahogany family but is much redder than true Mahogany. Either way it looks great. R.K.

Yes. it's Mahogany - the redish tint you are seeing is due to my inability to take a decent picture.:rotflm:
It's actually a really light brownish color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS