Lost Art Press - An American Treasure

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
I just want to discuss Lost Art Press for a minute. Lost Art Press is an anomaly in the publishing business. Here are just a few things that set them apart:

• They have been a major influence on the surge in hand tool woodworking over the last 15 years.
• Through their books and blog posts, they have brought little-known tools and techniques back into everyday use.
• They have ethical publishing core values (see their “About Us” page).
• They publish their books in America, with quality archival bindings and materials.
• Recently, they have been providing free PDFs for some of Chris Schwarz’s books, with just a link and no email requirements or sign-ups to mailing lists.
• They have regular classes and teach what they write.
• They offer some of the best content available anywhere for hand tool woodworking.
• Their team is committed to helping underserved communities get tools and learn new skills.
• Chris’s blog is a wealth of information on everything hand tool woodworking.

I have been following their progress since the beginning. I have bought their books and followed Chris’s and other authors’ advice, and the techniques they teach just work. It’s time-proven, and I have a house and shop full of builds and tools based on the Anarchist series that prove that. Name any other publisher that even comes close to their ethics, commitment, and time-proven advice.

I am not affiliated with LAP; I’m just a very, very satisfied customer. I have taken several of Chris’s classes at Roy Underhill’s Woodwright’s School and at LAP in Covington, KY. Chris Schwarz, John Hoffman, Megan Fitzpatrick, their entire team, and the multiple authors they publish deserve an award of excellence and the recognition of the entire hand tool community.

Last edited:

oldetoolworkshop

New User
Aaron
I have many of their titles as well. My latest is "Set & File" by Matt Cianci. This is a very comprehensive well written book on Saw sharpening. If you want learn more about saw sharpening or just want to up your saw sharpening skills, I recommend this book. I have corresponded with Matt for years (through email) and he helped me immensely in my early years refurbishing and sharpening vintage saws. He knows his stuff when it comes to all thing saws. I blame him for all my beautifully restored saws hanging around my shop - lol

I Also just received my hard copy of "American Peasant" which I'm reading right now. It has a free PDF download here: American Peasant

Cheers!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I find that Schwarz's writings are from the angle of speaking with peers and not talking down to the reader regardless of their skill level, and I appreciate and enjoy that. The few books I have made for good beach reading..............

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS