Jet Mini or Delta Midi Lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I have the Nova Precision Midi Chuck...picked it up on sale at Woodcraft after I bought the lathe. It stays on the lathe almost all the time.

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
Which lathes do the prices apply to??

Mr. Beach, you quoted prices of $200 for the Delta and $225 for the Jet. I am supposing these are the belt versions and not the variable speed versions. Both are good machines.

Most have suggested looking at the variable speed versions. Those prices will be higher. If I was looking at a new midi-lathe, I would probably look at the PSI Turncrafter VS for $230. It has the same specifications. The Delta and Jet VS versions will run quite a bit more. Personally, I don't mind changing the belt, but VS is a nice feature. The Grizzly 0657 at $325 seems also a good deal for a VS.

I would look at machines that have the standard measurements and accept the typical chucks, etc. (such as; #2 tapers and 1"x8tpi headstock thread).

Good luck.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Re: Which lathes do the prices apply to??

I posted a suggestion about VS earlier and had an example of why ocur last night that I thought I would pass along. I was turning a big rough spindle blank. It ended up as a cylinder of 3" or so about 16" long. It started as a rough split that was out of balance. During the ealy roughing, I found that at below 850 it had a vibration that was trying to walk the stand around the garage and abov 900 it developed a harmonic sort of vibration that was almost as bad. After the first pass at 875, I could increase it on each pass until I soon had a cylinder and was in the teens. If you plan to use rough timber, you will find VS nearly essential, IMO. If you can mill the wood to accurate spec first that helps, but some pieces are going to be out of balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS