Intarsia 101 more shaping and carving

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
On the last segment I went over the basics of tracing, cutting and sanding so now I will go into some of the details of carving and contouring that make intarsia unique.
After a piece has been traced,[including carving lines as per pattern] and sawn out, now is the time to carve in the details.
In this photo I have placed a sheet of 60 grit sandpaper on the workbench and have placed the piece on it. Using a 5/64" high speed cutter I carve the lines thru the paper pattern at a 45 degree angle while holding it down with my thumb nail. When all lines have been carved I remove the pattern and check to make sure that all lines are uniform. I re-carve if needed.

intarsiatutorialshapingandcarvin-1.jpg

Next photo
Once I'm happy that the carving looks good I shape the edges with a 1/2" or 1/4" sanding drum then clean the surface with 220 grit sandpaper. I then check for fit and adjust if needed.

intarsiatutorialshapingandcarvin-3.jpg

In the next photo the pattern calls for C9 Pau Amerrillo which is 1/4" next to D9 Pau Amerrillo which is 3/8". The arrows on the pattern indicates that the D9 has to be contoured so that the two pieces are the same thickness where they meet. For this I use my 3 x18" belt sander and work it down along the edges until the 3/8 is close to 1/4". I do the final shaping with the 1/2" drum sander and 220 grit sand paper. Once I am happy that it looks good I spray on a coat of satin poly and wipe off. Check for fit and adjust if needed.

intarsiatutorialshapingandcarvin-4.jpg

This next photo shows what the contouring should look like.

intarsiatutorialshapingandcarvin-5.jpg

Well this has been a good day. I managed not to lose or break any pieces and things have fit together pretty good without alot of adjusting. It is important to trace and cut the pieces accurately and not to get in any kind of a hurry when shaping and sanding.

intarsiatutorialshapingandcarvin-6.jpg

Woods used so far: Poplar-- grass ;Mahogany--road ; Blue Mahoe--bush ;
Maple--Bumper, rims and headlight trims; Holly--headlights; Ebony--fenderwells and front grill; Wenge--tires; Pau Amerrillo--truck body

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Mike - this gets better with each installment. Thanks for showing us how you make the magic. I do have a question. You wrote
In the next photo the pattern calls for C9 Pau Amerrillo which is 1/4" next to D9 Pau Amerrillo which is 3/8".
I know you drew up this plan but what is the significance of the C9 and D9 labels?

Ernie

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike this is SO cool, thanks very much for posting it. I love seeing it come together, and viewing how Intarsia is done in the hands of a Master.

Dave:)

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Hi Ernie
Intarsia uses different thicknesses of wood which when sanded and contoured give it a very visual 3-D effect. In this case the C9 is 1/4" and the D9 is 3/8" which when properly shaped will stand proud of the background and other parts of the truck body.

Hi Ed
I just haven't got to those little pieces yet

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, thanks for sharing. Intarsia is something I have never tried and always wanted to. With your instructions I finally get up the nerve to give it a try.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: Keep the how to coming, not that I could ever do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS