Hello From Marion, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcottrell

New User
Lance
Hello everyone. My name is Lance. I was referred by John Whittaker in Charlotte, who I found on Sawmillcreek. I'm still pretty new to woodworking, but starting to get my feet wet now. I've read quite a bit the last couple of years, but because of circumstances was unable to really get any tools and setup any resemblance of a shop until now. I just received my Grizzly 1023SL table saw a week ago and am still in the process of getting it setup. I have a Shark Guard on order. My wife and I have completed a few projects with the tools we had. The biggest one and the one I am most proud of is the woodworking bench. It is made from laminated 2x4s for legs, with laminated 2x10s for the stretchers and a double layer of 3/4" MDF for the top with a layer of 1/4" hardboard on top of that. It isn't fine furniture, but we learned a lot doing it and it seems like it will do the job.

Aside from my interest in woodworking, I enjoy camping, traveling, doing DIY projects around the house, and computers. I really enjoy playing cards too, poker mostly, but haven't been able to find anyone to play with since moving to WNC a year ago. If anyone is looking for another person to play in the area, give me a shout. I've been married to my lovely wife for about 10 years now. She is Japanese and we met while I was stationed in Japan in the Navy. We don't have any kids, but have 2 lab mix dogs that we really love. I am a veteran and I work at the VA Medical Center in Asheville where I have the honor of helping to taking care of other veterans.

My wife and I don't know many people in the area yet, so if anyone wants to get together, talk woodworking, or have a beer, let me know.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Welcome, Lance. You shouldn't have any problem finding someone to speak "wood" with you up there, or share a brew. You've got some really accomplished ww's in your area.

You'll find this to be the best site for info and help on the web. Keep up the good work with the vets. They deserve the best we can offer.

If you can make it to the ww show in Charlotte in March, (I think) you'll be able to meet some of these "novices" and Masters.

Good luck!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hi Lance,

Welcome to NCWW. You gave us a great intro. It's always good to have another woodworker join us. Did you say your wife does woodworking with you? I'm jealous... I'm the only one in my family who likes to make sawdust (that's what I make best). What other kinds of projects have you made... or are interested in making?

One thing you'll hear a lot of is that we need photos; of projects, wood shops, shop dog, piles of sawdust, just about anything.

Again, welcome

Ray

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Welcome, glad to see you here
My wife is also Japanese I spent 9 years in Japan (air force) retired now.
It sounds like your bench is strong and should work very well:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome Lance, it's great to have you join us. You're starting off on the right foot with the Griz 1023SL cabinet saw, it's a fine piece of machinery at a good price. There is a new but flourishing woodworking club in the western part of the state, that is a great way to get the opportunity to meet some folks. Not mention the impromptu gatherings that pop up now and again.
The best thing about this site is that you actually have a very good chance of meeting the folks you converse with. That's a good thing ;-)
I look forward to your input in the forums, and hopefully seeing some pics of your bench, and other ww'ing project...I think that we like pics or something :lol::lol:

Dave:)

lcottrell

New User
Lance
Hi Lance,

Welcome to NCWW. You gave us a great intro. It's always good to have another woodworker join us. Did you say your wife does woodworking with you? I'm jealous... I'm the only one in my family who likes to make sawdust (that's what I make best). What other kinds of projects have you made... or are interested in making?

One thing you'll hear a lot of is that we need photos; of projects, wood shops, shop dog, piles of sawdust, just about anything.

Again, welcome

Ray
Yep, she is a real trooper. She is right there along with me in nearly everything. We are very close. If I'm doing electrical, plumbing, painting, whatever, she is right there. I couldn't ask for a better partner. She really enjoys woodworking and is looking forward to making things as much as I am. It's nice because she doesn't really fight me getting the tools because she wants to use them too!

lcottrell

New User
Lance
Welcome, glad to see you here
My wife is also Japanese I spent 9 years in Japan (air force) retired now.
It sounds like your bench is strong and should work very well:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
That's cool. How does she like the US? My wife has been here since 2000. I was actually stationed on Yokota Air Force Base for the 3 years I was in Japan. I was part of the Headquarters for US Forces in Japan (USFJ), which was on Yokota. Where were you stationed? I absolutely loved Japan. My wife and I are planning a return trip this coming April and we can't wait, except for that killer long flight.

lcottrell

New User
Lance
Where is the woodworking club and do you have any info on it? I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend of my bench.

Your signature caught my eye...do you like the Dead?

WNC_Dave

New User
David
Lance
Welcome to the ncwoodworker.net forum. I am also pretty new to the forum and woodworking. I am also around Asheville and don't know a lot of people. PM me sometime and we can get beer and talk WWing.

The local woodworker clubs website is http://www.wncwa.org/
Rob is a member and can get you more info but he is out of town this weekend. He will probably pipe in when he gets back.

Again Welcome

Dave

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Where is the woodworking club and do you have any info on it? I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend of my bench.

Your signature caught my eye...do you like the Dead?

The other Dave from WNC posted the URL to the club's site :gar-up: McRabbet will be along soon to offer an official invite. My sig. is subtle, not too many folks pick up on it. Yes, they are my favorite band!! I've seen them close to 100 times over the years.
I look forward to seeing your bench :icon_thum That's something I hope to make one day.

Dave:)

Last edited:

JohnW

New User
John
Hi Lance,
When I saw the "Hello from Marion" I figured it was you. Glad you decided to join us. I'd like to see that Shark guard so post a pic...it will be good pic posting practice for you and the folks around here love pictures.

Again, Welcome
JohnW

M

McRabbet

Hi Lance and welcome to the NCWW.net site. It's always good to have another woodworker join us and a Grizzly owner, too! I've got a Grizzly G1023SLX (and several other pieces of Grizzly iron) and I love it. And, I'm the guy that others on this post have said would get you some info about the Western NC Woodworkers Association -- we've got about 40 members and meet once each month in the Asheville area -- we just had our January meeting at the shop of one of our members in the Riverfront Arts District of Asheville and we also meet some months at the Folk Art Center, just behind the VA Center where you work in Asheville. I'll put you on our emailing list for future meetings and hope you (and your wife) can join us. We meet on the second Saturday of each month (usually).

As other members here have said, we love pictures, so get busy and post some of your shop and projects! We've also got lots of good info here -- be sure to check out the Link and Download Libraries. Welcome aboard!

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome Lance! LOML and I are just down 221 in Forest City. We both do wwing, but different things. We learned a long time ago that we tend to like different kinds of projects - so sometimes it is a contest for who gets the next tool :lol:. I work at the hospital in Greer,SC and LOML is retired (and working harder than ever!) What's your wife's name? If interested, she can join separately from you so we know who we are talking to (not necessary, but somehwat helpful for her and us). We love to get input and pictures from members. Welcome!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Welcome Lance and LOYL! This is a great site with lots of helpful folks. Look forward to your input.

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
Welcome to the NCWW site. :eusa_clapGlad to have you join.:icon_thum This site is the best site on the WWW. :cool: Folk's hear are friendly,:eusa_danc not like that other site.:-?

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS