Gun Cab Delivered!! Few pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: Gun Cab WIP Pics...Weekend Update with Pics

Finally got all the frame pieces milled, cut, dry fit and sanded. Stained the RP edges and glued up the panels Friday night.

Got back in ths shop Sat. afternoon ready to glue the rear panel and front frame...that's when I noticed that between sanding and final assy/glue-up I had sawpped a few of the legs (stiles) around. The rear panel has a dado all around for the rear ply panel...I put both dadoed legs on a single RP...:eusa_doh: I'd like to say I laughed out loud but I was not happy. :BangHead: :BangHead:

The problem was more comlpicated because the rear legs were 1.75 x 1.25, while the front legs were 1.75 x 1.375. My original design called for 1.75 x 1.375 but after I milled and ripped the rear legs they bowed ever so slightly so I carefully jointed and ripped to 1.25 inches and just made the rear upper and lower rails 1/4 inch longer. I didn't want to cut the front stiles to match because the lower cab stiles are 1.375 inch wide in the front and I wanted them to match. Well, throw that one out!!

Thought about it for a while then set up and practiced running the glued panel through the tablesaw (on edge) then cut the thicker leg down to match the other. I also had a 52 inch dado to fill. It came out fine. Then I had to resize the rear rails to match the front rails, resize the ply panel. Then rout a dado for the rear panel.

Basically lost 5-6 hours from a bone-headed screwup. :cry:

I glued up the carcass in three stages this afternoon, then cut the floor and top and called it a day. I read Dave-O's post...looks like I had a Dave-O day, too. :lol: :lol:

Pics below. Looks like finished dimension will be 41W x 17D x 58H, assuming I don't botch up anything else. :lol:

Chuck

Attachments

• upper assy glued small.JPG
    upper assy glued small.JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 193
  • glued assy panel view small.JPG
    glued assy panel view small.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 192

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Basically lost 5-6 hours from a bone-headed screwup. :cry:

I glued up the carcass in three stages this afternoon, then cut the floor and top and called it a day. I read Dave-O's post...looks like I had a Dave-O day, too. :lol: :lol:
Chuck

Is your wife wondering when you'll finish your waste of time, too :lol: :lol: My wife..."You've spent all weekend on that and you aren't done with it yet", "When are you going to make the legs for the new couch" Me..."Yes, Dear, I'll start on it right away" :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Been there and done that. The bone headed screwups are always painful. Seems like I manage to have at least one on every project.

Your shop still looks to neat and clean. Please post a picture of it in a mess to make me feel a little better.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: Gun Cab WIP Pics...Update

Pics attached. Gun barrel slotted rest completed, top molding completed (thanks Mshel for use of your molding profile and bead bits). Doors are done and I will fit door hardware today.

I've also included a pic of the gun butt rest template. This is the second attempt. It's not perfect but I'll go with it. FWIW, it's easier to slide the gun butt into a simple open-ended slot, rounded at the top..but, the customer is always right.

I'm going to spend some time in the shop this evening and hopefully will reach a point of staining very soon.

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: Gun Cab WIP Pics...Here's the pics

Forgot to attach pics. :eusa_doh:

Here's a front view, barrel rest detail and gun butt template.

Chuck

Attachments

• front view small.JPG
    front view small.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 183
  • barrel slot detail.JPG
    barrel slot detail.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 217
  • gun butt template small.JPG
    gun butt template small.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 202

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Re: Gun Cab WIP Pics...Weekend Update

Chuck,

I went through this about 2 years ago for my son. I couldn't find plans that I liked so I did my thing. For the bottom of the upper cabinet I put down a piece of felt and then placed the bottom (cutouts for butts) over it.

I also got some soft leather and lined the cutouts for the gun barrels.

Roy

Attachments

• P7300161.jpg
    P7300161.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 209

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: Gun Cab WIP Pics...Here's the pics

Are you going to taper the gun butt piece or is it's depth going to be consistent?

J

jeff...

Cutouts for butts hu :roll: Man you guys pull out all the stops.

Nice man real nice

cpowell

New User
Chuck

Travis, no taper. Just flat, which is enough of a PITA to rout. Since shotguns and rifles have different drops from top of barrel to top of butt I wouldn't know where to set it anyway.

Jeff, I wanted a round ended straight slot. My friend wanted routed to shape. He's gonna pay by gosh. I don't think it adds anything functionally to rout to shape. LOML says, "well that looks better cut to shape". She's about to get locked out of the shop. :lol: :lol:

Roy, I'm probably gonna let him felt/flock the butt rests and glue felt on the barrel rests. I've already told him "gratuity time" is over. I will mention your idea about the leather.

Chuck

Chuck

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Re: Gun Cab WIP Pics...Almost Done

Almost done. Upper cab finished, hardware mounted, waiting on glass.

I have read on WN forum that silicone caulk may be used to fasten the glass. I don't have depth for a 1/4 roundover wood strip in the rabbet and was thinking about using silicone at the corners and maybe every 12 inches to attach to the rabbet. I would like to use clear plastic retainer clips like those shown here http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1078 Has anyone used these?

The rabbet depth is about 0.32 inches. Assuming the glass is actually 1/8 (as ordered) then I will have an offset of about 0.20 inches between the face of the glass and the face of the frame. The Woodcraft clips state an offset of 3/16 inch, or 0.19 inches. I wonder if they will work?

Here's a pic. I'll post a completed pic with the upper cab sitting atop the lower cab once I'm officially done! This thing has taken a while. I'm glad to be in the short rows. :-D

Chuck

Attachments

• Front View no glass small.JPG
    Front View no glass small.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 194

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

I haven't used the clips, but I have used silicon and it does hold. Just make sure you have completed your finishing first.

Cabinet looks great Chuck!

cpowell

New User
Chuck

I haven't used the clips, but I have used silicon and it does hold. Just make sure you have completed your finishing first.

Cabinet looks great Chuck!

I got the glass and lights tonight. Travis, I took your advice and applied silicone and used an overlay offset molding for the edges. Drove brads (not too many) so the molding can be removed should he ever need to replace the glass. Turned out pretty nice.

Pics below. The full view shows off the mistake I made when I ripped off the tongues on the back of the stiles to create a rabbet for the glass. Had planned on stopping before the rails and then cleaning off with a chisel. :eusa_doh: So I built decorative caps to cover the loose tenon joints. :lol:

Gun cab is done. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc It will be picked up tomorrow night. I'll take a few pics of the whole assy tomorrow before I help load it up.

Chuck

Attachments

• glass door small.JPG
    glass door small.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 202
  • molding detail small.JPG
    molding detail small.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 211

adowden

New User
Amy
Re: Gun Cab WIP Pics...Almost There

That is a beautiful piece, Chuck. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I'm sure the customer will be very pleased.

Amy

J

jeff...

very professional is all I can say, great attention to details.

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member

Chuck,

Very nice job dude. I'd say your friend got a very very good deal. And I'm sure you learned some things in the process that will help you on future projects.

Mike

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Cab Complete, Delivered

Well, I took a few pics and helped my friend load up the cun cab assy this morning. The customer was absolutely delighted.

He called me and let me know he had it all set up with guns in place and the lights on and he was sitting in his easy chair admiring it.

Thanks to everyone for helping out and providing feedback.

The pics looked great at a high resolution but not very nice when I reduced them to 640 x 480. I guess I need to remember to shoot a smaller size for posting, huh? :eusa_doh:

Good news is...I get to go shopping now! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Chuck

Attachments

• front side small.JPG
    front side small.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    IMG_0238.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 217

Deacon Shuster

New User
Doug Shuster
Chuck,

The cabinet looks great! It's been a real pleasure seeing you progress through this project. Sharing this on the site really helps folks like me to learn so much. Thanks.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS