Getting power to room middle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
I am at the point in my new shop where I need to move my table saw to the middle of the room which, of course, will require a power source. I am considering a reinforced power cord or just running conduit down from the ceiling. Having no experience with either I am wondering how other folks handled this situation.

Thanks.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Conduit down from the ceiling can really get in the way, especially when dealing with larger stock. My first preference would be to bring the power in under the floor. If that's not an option I'd opt for a protected and as trip proof as you can make it cord across the floor over conduit from the ceiling.

mike_wood

User
I have a concrete floor so under it is not an option. Running a cord across the floor presents a trip hazard but not out of the question. Thanks.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Mike

I had the same issue in my garage/shop. My TS is 110V not 220, so I was able to hang a retractable cord reel from the ceiling and just provide the drop to the saw. It also is great for providing power to my router in the table, sanders, drills etc around the assembly as well.

I got mine, I believe from Northern Tools....

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200237924_200237924

I opted for a short length...around 25ft.

Has worked fine for me and keeps the floor clear of extension cords.:wsmile:

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Although you've already said that having a concrete floor precludes having power from underneath, it is the best option. I am fortunate to have my 800 SF shop in a basement that is raised as much as 9 feet above the crawl space, allowing me to run my table saw and jointer 220 V/20 Amp circuit to floor mounted boxes and receptacles. In your case, pick the least traveled sides of your table saw (I find that is the right side of mine, followed by the back side) and run your power cord through a cord cover like one recommended by gator.

I also have my dust collection ductwork running under the floor.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have a concrete floor so under it is not an option. Running a cord across the floor presents a trip hazard but not out of the question. Thanks.
Mike, how many other stationary tools do you plan to eventually have on the floor, far enough away from walls that you will have to run power to them? What about dust collection? If the answer is a lot, then under the floor may not be as out of the question as you think. Have you considered laying stringers down and putting a floating floor on top? It would add expense, and you'd lose about 2" of height, but in the long run it may be worth it.

If the table saw is the only thing you ever plan on putting in the middle of the floor, then I'd go with Gator's idea of a protected extension cord.

Bill Clemmons

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
FWIW, I have several outlets in the middle and use twistlock plugs. No strain relief cords, just a good grade of cable and twistlock plugs. It may not be up to code, but in 8 years, I have not had a single issue with it, and it allows me some flexibility in movement.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I had the same problem when I got my table saw. I went whole hog and cut a 4" wide trench in the concrete and placed conduit in and repoured the concrete. I also added another outlet where I thought I would put the jointer and it worked out just right. It was a mess for a short while but in the long run I feel it was worth the hassle to not have cords running all over the place.

A diamond blade in an old circular saw and a rented chipping hammer was all it took to make the trench and some careful covering of everything in the shop is advised.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
As much as I would like to have something in concret myself, I know that for me, it would be unwise. My shop is an on-going, growing, changing, space. I just run a cord and watch where I walk. That way, I am not tied down to a specific layout or design of my shop.

Glennbear

Glenn
I ran a 12/3 SJ type cord down from the ceiling to the floor with a couple extra feet of slack. The cord has a strain relief fitting at the ceiling and a quadplex box on the floor. Currently it does not have an outdoor type hinged cover plate to keep gunk out of the outlets but I will be adding that. I have been very happy with this setup for my TS and the other machines that are used in the central portion of the shop. :wsmile:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I had the same situation. I built a post from 2 2x4's and some pegboard. i ran the power down through the post and use it to hang TS accessories on. I set the tablesaw first so the post was out of the way. I've never had an issue with this setup. YMMV:gar-Bi

mike_wood

User
My shop is 24'X24' (inside dimensions) with the usual array of power tools - jointer, planer, two bandsaws, drill press, miter saw, RAS, two 1100c dust collectors. I have 10' of clearance from the floor to the floor joists of the upper story. So there is no ceiling which makes it easy to run wires, etc. I want the table saw in the middle of the floor turned diagonally so I have lots of room front and back. The other tools are along the walls. I will run dust collection along the ceiling and drop it to the saw.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I would like to know why several of you would not recommend dropping a connection from the ceiling. Is there some safety issue I'm not considering? It would be so easy to run a wire from my box to an outlet in the ceiling then drop from there. My question was how best to do the drop. I don't see that it will be in the way as it will be just to the right of my saw (unisaw with 52" table). I may put the planer (PM15S) to the right of the drop and let them share the outlet.

Cutting my newly laid, painted concrete floor to lay a wire is not something I want to do. I considered running a wire across the floor and covering it but I still need to move tools around at times (everything is on casters) and that would present a barrier especially with the heavy equipment - I have a 20" Griz bandsaw that weighs 800 lbs and the factory supplied casters on my jointer (Griz) is barely mobile. I take the dust collectors outside to change bags as it is a very dusty job and much easier and faster that way. These are the reasons it seemed the best way to get power to my saw is to drop a wire.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
'

Glennbear

Glenn
My shop is the same size and everything is on wheels also. The flexibility of the SJ cord with some extra wire in the drop down enables me great latitude in moving the quadplex box out of the way when moving machinery in the shop. The folks who had negative thoughts about the ceiling drop down were thinking of a fixed drop down like Fred uses I believe. About the only machine in my shop that stays in the same place is the table saw which is still subject to relocation at times when I need greater space on the outfeed side. This is why I did not consider a hard wired ceiling drop down. There is also the consideration that a post in the center of the shop would preclude the magical transformation into a garage when I need to work on my truck. :rotflm:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I don't see that it will be in the way as it will be just to the right of my saw (unisaw with 52" table). '

This was really my only concern. If you're sure it's not in the way then it's better doing a drop than across the floor for safety reasons. I'd just recommend either making it really sturdy (like Fred's post/storage idea) or flexible with some slack in it (like Glenn's). I know if it were my shop it would (probably sooner than later and more often than I'd like) eventually get whacked with a piece of stock....

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This was really my only concern. If you're sure it's not in the way then it's better doing a drop than across the floor for safety reasons. I'd just recommend either making it really sturdy (like Fred's post/storage idea) or flexible with some slack in it (like Glenn's). I know if it were my shop it would (probably sooner than later and more often than I'd like) eventually get whacked with a piece of stock....
My concern was the same as Travis: inconvenience rather than a safety issue. My last shop was in a basement w/ a post every 12', and they were always an impediment. But like some others have said, either leave plenty of slack or make it sturdy enough to withstand a good whack. It's not a matter of IF you hit it, but WHEN! :gar-La;

Bill Clemmons

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
My saw is also in the middle of my shop and I run the cord across the floor to the outlet. It runs to the output sid of the saw so It is not really in the way and I am not walking over it all the time. However, I did buy the correct length of wire, with a foot of slack, so it would lay flat on the floor and not be coiled up or have to use an extension cord. If I need to move something where the cord runs, I just unplug it. If it were hanging from the ceiling I think I would keep hitting it with the wood I am cutting especially if I am cutting a sheet of plywood.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS