Foothills Craftsmen

Foothills Craftsmen Group Good Idea or Bad Idea?

• Yes, I would be interested

Votes: 23 95.8%
  • No, Im too busy making stuff

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Looking for input...good, bad, ugly.

I am thinking of starting a woodworking club at the sawmill that will meet 4 times a year (each season) on Sunday afternoon at the farm workshop/sawmill. Programs could be setup to focus and practice on a particular style and or technique for people to show off for the next meeting.

This would allow the participants to:

1- learn a new technique.
2- meet other woodworkers in the area
3- actually practice the technique the day it is demonstrated.

fees may apply only if we have some notable name is teaching that day and participation would be limited to insure access to the teacher.

what do you think?

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Kyle,
I think that's a great idea, but I'm a little far away. I wish I was closer, and I hopethe locals support the idea.

Jimmy

nelsone

New User
Ed
Sounds like a great idea to me! Keep us posted on your thoughts.

Did you ever get anywhere with the tree cycle petition you were going to draft up for the area?

scott hamm

New User
scott
sounds good to me as well kyle.
i'm less than 30 min away and could attend some of the meetings .
depending on the meeting times and dates.

M

McRabbet

You are a few hours away, but I'd be interested in coming once every few months. I was within a few miles of you this past week and didn't realize how close I was -- I was returning from my nephew's in Huntersville and came across 73 to Lincolnton and then drove up 321 to Hickory en route home to Hendersonville (we had played a round of golf at Cowan's Ford CC on Lake Norman). Next time I'll stop by to see you.

MarkW

New User
Mark
Sounds good to me. Will give me a good chance to meet others in our area and possibly pick up some new skills.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
Kyle,

Sounds great to me. About an hour and a half from here. I'm sure I could get some other members to carpool from the northwest corner of the state.

Rick Doby

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Next question is what would be the topics to discuss for the coming year?

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Sounds like a great idea to me! Keep us posted on your thoughts.

Did you ever get anywhere with the tree cycle petition you were going to draft up for the area?

I decided to work directly with the state and local agencies instead of a petition. Petitions tend to be looked at and summarily deposited in the round file. Davidson College now has a policy to recycle all usable material from the campus. I just got a huge Walnut and a Mulberry from Davidson College.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Proposed dates:

3rd Sunday every 3rd month. March, June, September, December.

Topics:

How to do variable dovetails
Turning legs
flattening large slabs
slab furniture design

lots more

other stuff.. moisture content measurement, grain orientation, finishes..etc

Post a list of items YOU would like to learn and lets whittle down to 4 for the next year.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Next question is what would be the topics to discuss for the coming year?

For a first meeting how about doing a "From Log to Lumber" presentation. Basically going over your operation.

pete

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
For a first meeting how about doing a "From Log to Lumber" presentation. Basically going over your operation.

pete

I like all of the ideas presented thus far ... might have to meet more often! :eusa_clap

Personally, I'd also like to see something around:

- Hand tools & their use
- Chair Making
- Selecting lumber (what to look for)

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I'm in Kyle!!! All the ideals sound good.Pete had a good one though.Start from scratch.Us folk's that have never seen a tree turned into lumber could really learn alot.

Kyle I might have a line on a white oak.Looks to be 30ft mabe 18 to 20in trunk. Rough guess how much to cut and dry?

rbdoby

New User
Rick
other stuff.. moisture content measurement, grain orientation, finishes..etc

I'd like to see something on spraying finishes. Seems a lot of us are trying it. Wouldn't mind swapping experiences with other members.

The 3rd Sunday of every 3rd month works for me.

Rick Doby

J

jeff...

I'm with Pete from standing tree to Lumber would be great. I only know what I picked up from making a bunch of mistakes, would be cool to see how others do it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS