First public showing - Almost

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I am just about to start the build of this table for ourselves, or at least get the wood organized, probably from "the hardwood store". It was on the laptop at the Klingspor show but other than that this is the first public airing for criticism. OA dims are 70 x 39 and 30 high. The glass in the centre is 70 x 4. The glass will be custom cast by Carolina Mirror in Raleigh at about $1,400 for the two pieces. The top glass is transparent, laminated to provide the colour. The lower piece will be a similar colour but opaque. The main wood will be quilted maple and the accents and the lower frame will be cherry.

Thanks for looking, comments welcome!!

Dining_table_assy_7_full.jpg

Dining_table_assy_7_end.jpg

Dining_table_assy_7.jpg

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see the final table. Based on your past work, it will be better than the drawing. This will definitely be a showpiece David!

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
David,
That's going to be an awesome piece!!

How are you going to attach the legs to the "sub" base?

DavidF

New User
David
David,
That's going to be an awesome piece!!

How are you going to attach the legs to the "sub" base?

So that the legs can be removed for transport the sub frame holds a long through tenon in each corner. Above the sub frame the tenon is short and glues in to the short top support. Underneath the subframe the tenon is much longer and goes into a mortice in the end of the leg. Screws will then go though the the leg into the tenon. Possibly with threaded inserts in the leg to take a machine screw.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
That's going to be very impressive!

Are you going to rabit the glass into table top or sub frame?

When can we expect WIP pics?

DavidF

New User
David
That's going to be very impressive!

Are you going to rabit the glass into table top or sub frame?

When can we expect WIP pics?

Yes, the glass will sit on a rabbet in both pieces.

I hope to get the wood in Jan and normally I let it sit in the shop for a month before doing a first pass to take the surface off and let it sit another month, sometime in March the real work will begin. The I have to persuade Travis to let me use his big jointer/planer/sander for the tops:rotflm: Not as bad being in two pieces, but still too wide for my stuff.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Yes, the glass will sit on a rabbet in both pieces.

I hope to get the wood in Jan and normally I let it sit in the shop for a month before doing a first pass to take the surface off and let it sit another month, sometime in March the real work will begin. The I have to persuade Travis to let me use his big jointer/planer/sander for the tops:rotflm: Not as bad being in two pieces, but still too wide for my stuff.

You tell me when and you are more than welcome to come over. Bring it on. The wide belt is a WORLD of difference especially being able to go up to 220 grit quickly!

Comment/question - The legs seem like an issue to me. Are you concerned about them trying to spread or anything since they don't really have an apron supporting them?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
David, that table is a piece of art! I love your taste in furniture. Can't wait to see what you end up with. :icon_thum

Partman

Danny
Corporate Member
:cool: I saw it at the Klingspor show and would like to see the real thing win you get it done.

Danny

DavidF

New User
David
You tell me when and you are more than welcome to come over. Bring it on. The wide belt is a WORLD of difference especially being able to go up to 220 grit quickly!

Comment/question - The legs seem like an issue to me. Are you concerned about them trying to spread or anything since they don't really have an apron supporting them?

Thanks Travis, that's a good question and I hope the answer will lie in the tenon attachment to the sub frame. I should be able to get a long straight tenon 3-4" in to the top of the leg and if that is secure then I should be ok:eusa_pray

sapwood

New User
Roger
Blimey, lad! You aren't afraid of a challenge, are you?
You know we are all looking forward to your progress, even if it takes years. As usual, the design is unique and I like it :icon_thum:icon_thum

But where will you put the cup holders for the beer :eusa_thin

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
Blimey, lad! You aren't afraid of a challenge, are you?
You know we are all looking forward to your progress, even if it takes years. As usual, the design is unique and I like it :icon_thum:icon_thum

But where will you put the cup holders for the beer :eusa_thin

Roger

Thanks Roger, glad you like it; it's not exactly Philadelphia revival style!!

I am hoping for fast turnaround in the 9 - 10 month frame:rotflm:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
David, I can see that piece in a fine furniture musem one day. That will be something else. Are you going to charge us admission to come watch you work?

DavidF

New User
David
David, I can see that piece in a fine furniture musem one day. That will be something else. Are you going to charge us admission to come watch you work?

As long as I take to make a piece I'd have to issue a season ticket!!!!

Thanks for the complement though...:embaresse

maomoonshiner

New User
morgan
While this is my first exposure to your work -- I'm still relatively wet-eared in these parts -- it is very impressive. One thing I wish I was better at is conceptualizing using only my mind; it looks like we all could learn a thing or two from you. Myself, I draw up a rough sketch and work from there, doing lots of improvising. I'm guessing you're using some sort of architect's program? Never occured to me woodworkers would use them.

Would you mind parting with any secrets you've accumulated in the creative process? That's one skill, for me, thats difficult to develop. I can figure out tough joints pretty easily, but learning design is another beast entirely.

Thanks!
Morgan

Shamrock

New User
Michael
That is fantastic-Have you thought about draw boring the tenons in the legs-that would defiantly hold every thing together-even with the outward leg splay.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

DavidF

New User
David
That is fantastic-Have you thought about draw boring the tenons in the legs-that would defiantly hold every thing together-even with the outward leg splay.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

The problem with this project is that for practical reasons the legs need to be removable so a nice solution like that is not really possible. Also making sure the fixings are not too visible is another consideration. The solution I have "should" work ok - it works on the CAD model!! But I may resort to some prototyping before committing finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS