dw 733 planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

alleng

New User
allen
i borrowed a dw dw733 planer today. tried to surface some cypress,soft wood--should go pretty good right? well i had to help feed it through.knifes leaving burn marks,and what a racket that thing makes. imthinking dull blades. am i on track here with that thought...im only taking a 1/16 -3/32 per pass so i dont think thats the problem. also to youguys who have this model,how do you read the clear height indicator,i would think there should be a line in it somewhere to line up...mabie its faded,or mabie i need to get out my glasses:lol::lol:

alleng

New User
allen
ohyea.... are the blades 2 sided,mabie i could turn them,but how ? anyone know the procedure?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Allan,

I recent;y had a feed problem with my DW 735. Turned out to be the bed and infeed/outfeed tables lost their slipperiness. I gave them a coat of Johnsons Paste Wax and now all is fine as far as feeding. (Advice I got here at good 'ol NCWW!) I also cleaned the feed rollers with a little denatured alcohol.

I usually only take off about 1/32 - 1/16" per pass. Not sure if the burning may be from dull knives or just related to your feed problems.

Wayne

T

toolferone

No the knives are not double sided, but they can be resharpened. I also would look and see if the in/out feed rollers are gunked up. As to setting the knives, the unit comes with a pair of magnet jigs to hold the knives at the right height while you tighten the bolts. Oh forget the scale it's worthless. Take the first pace and then pull out the calipers, way more accurate and easier to read.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Clean the rollers, wax the tables. The blades may be another issue. This works every time on our 735! :icon_thum

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I have the DW733 and that is not normal for this machine. I have run LOTS of BF thru it from red oak to cypress. I don't try to take 3/16" at one time on a board, that is a little much. Take thinner passes. Do what the others here have suggested. If the blades are sharp you should be able to run cypress through it and it feel slick to the touch. But it is a noisey machine, it make more noise than anything else in my shop. Wear hearing protection.

M

McRabbet

As Tom Ferone said, the blades are single sided, but they can be sharpened more than once. I have the 733 and it is very reliable as long as you keep the rollers clean and only take 1/2 a rotation of the head on each pass. My height gauge has a decent line on it and it cuts smoothly. I suspect your blades are real dull and need resharpening -- replacement blades (I have 2 sets) are available at Lowe's for about $42.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS