DP table lock improvement

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
This is the OE table lock on my pricey Nova drill press. Its limited leverage proved too hard for my aging hands to reliably lock the table.
IMG_4282.jpeg

My first try was this wooden handwheel which did lock the table easily. However, it basically was only usable with my left hand from the front of the DP and it gave no hint when I forgot to tighten it.
IMG_4279.jpeg

My latest try is this lever cam that I made:
IMG_4288.jpeg

The DP table is unlocked when the lever is horizontal. Just a few pounds of force on the handle in any direction will securely lock the table. Here I raised it upward:
IMG_4290.JPG

And at a glance I can tell if the table is locked.
IMG_4285.jpeg

Construction began with this scrap of 1/8"x2" steel angle (I would have use Al but didn't have anything suitable).
IMG_4274.jpeg

Sawn into two pieces with a Diablo steel cutting blade on my table saw.
IMG_4275.jpeg

In this pattern, the rise of the two cam surfaces is 1/16". This dimension came from eyeball engineering and was spot on.
IMG_4276.JPG

The pair were drilled together. I use an extra drill press (bought from @Dreuxgrad whilst he was in Durham) with a cross slide vise for metal work.
IMG_4277.JPG

Final shaping done on a 1x30 using those excellent blue belts from Klingspor.
IMG_4278.JPG

Trial assembly before handle was shaped. Pivot is a 3/16" spring pin and threads are a M-12 coarse thread bolt beheaded.
IMG_4280.jpeg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, once again you have proven to be very inventive...your creations are always functional and ergonomically designed!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Thanks, Donn. As a bonus, it's enjoyable for an old guy!

It's also per force since my grip has waned with age.

Last edited:
Reactions: drw

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
Mike--I'm not that far behind you in age. I can live with the fact of life that we lose muscle strength as we age, but the one I miss the most is my grip strength.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Mike is that a 2" radius on the business end? I think I'm going to do the same thing.
It’s not one radius but two mirrored. Think of it as two tilted arcs The tilt forms a ramp that gives the clamping force.

Turned out that explaining how to do this using a drawing was not easy. I have been thinking on explaining how to lay it out using photos and will work on it tomorrow. It is actually easy to do but hard to explain. Should only take a day or two and I will post.

BTW, it really works well.

Last edited:

mpeele

michael
User
It’s not one radius but two mirrored. Think of it as two tilted arcs The tilt forms a ramp that gives the clamping force.

Turned out that explaining how to do this using a drawing was not easy. I have been thinking on explaining how to lay it out using photos and will work on it tomorrow. It is actually easy to do but hard to explain. Should only take a day or two and I will post.

BTW, it really works well.
So it's not an eccentric. Radius with mounting point offset by 1/16" towards the end of the handle but a spiral or elliptical

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
So it's not an eccentric. Radius with mounting point offset by 1/16" towards the end of the handle but a spiral or elliptical
Arc thru 3 points.

It is a radius but its center is offset from the pivot. I have the cartoon figured out and will post later today.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Michael, here is the cartoon showing the geometry for the cam end. I'll post later how to lay it out on the stock.

DP_cam.png

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I had a scrap of 1" wide Al and here is how to lay out the cam surfaces referring to the diagram in the previous post.

First. cut two pieces to length and fasten together with double-sided tape. I coated one surface with red layout dye and scribed a line along the longitudinal center.
IMG_4302.jpeg

Then scribe a line across spaced X (not Y) from the bottom. Next is a scribe across 1/16" from the bottpm. Center punch these two intersections (they will be Y apart).

Next, scribe 45 degree lines from the pivot point in each direction downward (lines will meet the corners).
IMG_4303.jpeg

Along each 45 degree line, mark Z distance from the pivot point and center punch.

Lastly use a circle template or equivalent to scribe a circular arc through each set of three points.
IMG_4304.jpeg

The upper arc is being scribed here. Note that the previously scribed lower arc does NOT make a semi-circle with the upper arc. BTW, the radius of each arc turns out to be Z.

Hopefully this will help anyone who wants to make this DP table clamping lever.

Last edited:

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Made a locking lever for my metal working DP. This time I used 1/4” x 1” Al bar stock from Ace Hardware for the eccentric cams.
IMG_4334.jpeg

Here is the cam end up close.
IMG_4332.jpeg

Last edited:

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Excellent solution! I like cam action! I was looking at the locking mechanism on my rigid (identical (in appearance) to yours) after someone on my thread seeking 'automation advice/mentoring' mentioned bringing the locking mechanism control to the front of the table. I went down and looked at it and saw it needed to turn 90 degrees to get there - but never thought of CAM ACTION! If you added a pivot point to the end of your lever and a rod under the table you could use this design to bring the control forward - the front handle mounted beneath and to the table (pivot) at one end and the rod pivoting in the center of the Front Handle. Push it in to lock, pull it out to open (no need to look behind the table - the 'signal's right there up front when its loose!

As well this approach should do nicely on my Delta 14" BS. That little cast handle was too hard to handle for this (not so) old (as you) bird and I'd taken to 'tapping it with a hammer' - "Tap On - Tap Off" until I tapped one of the four 'arms' clean off - discovering what it was made of.

Reading your instructions had me baffled until the last step (though I may not have it cold yet) when I realized you were connection the dots using a plastic circle template - instead of a compass. "Where's he putting the compass for the second radius?" I kept asking myself. Along with "How can you swing a compass with two different setting through the same three points along the circumference of either?"

I'm just going to print out your notes and try and try to get a functional 'copy' of your work.

Thank you for the efforts such sharing has demanded of you. Good man.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
Most DPs have the table lock lever on the left and the elevator crank on the right.

An unobvious feature is one can stand by the crank and lock/unlock the clamp lever without moving your feet.

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Most DPs have the table lock lever on the left and the elevator crank on the right.
one can stand by the crank and lock/unlock the clamp lever without moving your feet.
Whoa Pop! How I get round my 36" wide table w/o moving me feet? :D

I mounted a shallow drawer beneath the (accessory) table that interferes with the crank handle such that I need to rotate the table clockwise (viewed from above) in order to rotate in once.

I love your lock/release fix! I've copied lots of your instructions and images in case the Internet goes away.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS