Dovetail Jig query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Ray, I had not even thought about having to manually space the joints. That is a good point.
Which would you consider to be the more simple to use?

Michael,

I think the other responses in the thread have already answered this... a fixed spacing system is easier to set up. The adjustable finger types are easier to manipulate the results.

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm game. I think it would be fun and a good learning experience. I can provide a Leigh D4 24" and a PC4212 and enough routers to allow both jigs to be run simultaneously.

Anyone have the newer Leigh's, Akeda, Harbor Freight, Keller, or PC Omnijig?

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I have the Keller jig (Journeyman 1500). It's only for through dovetails. For that it is highly rated. Very simple to use, I won't say idiot-proof because I have screwed up using it. :lol: I have used it a LOT.

I am going to learn to handcut DTs. Folks who are proficient can cut them quickly, any spacing you like, HB or through. I have done a few but do not consider myself competent in handcut DTs.

Chuck

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
If not Woodcraft, maybe someone will volunteer their shop...

Who are the acknowledged dovetail experts on our forum?

Scott

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Acknowledged? Hmmm.... DavidF does very well at handcuts as does Monty. DaveO is very good with his Leigh (had to come show me what I was doing wrong with mine when I was ready to throw it out).

I volunteer my shop, but only problem is, it is in the sticks of Wake county near the Granville county line. It is big enough, has heat, just location isn't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS