David Marks makes Krenov style plane.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
While I was clearly not wasting time surfing the internet looking for a guide on how to duct tape chicken feathers to a bowling ball, I happened across this gem:

http://www.diynetwork.com/videos/european-hand-plane/39703.html

I think the link is good, it was as of five minutes ago :)

David Marks shows the end to end process of making a hand plane.

Its a "Krenov" style plane, with the sawn/glued up sides. I won't start anything comparing this with traditional plane making techniques.

Its a bit quick for the subject matter, but as an overview of this type of plane making, I was quite pleased.

Jim

eyekode

New User
Salem
I enjoyed this video too. David Mark's jointer is huge :). But what do you think the safe minimum length stock for that jointer is?
Also did anyone else cringe when he routed that stopped dado to receive the chip breaker screw head?! I don't like getting my thumb/finger that close to a router bit!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Glad ya'll enjoy it.

His displayed safety practices left a lot to be desired, in my book. I think its probably the combination of his experience and what works on "tv". I saw a DIY handyman show where the carpenter used his hammer to as a push stick. The steel handle of his hammer. I actually leaped out of my chair and started shouting......

The thing he did that left me most baffled was putting the brass rod in the drill press and "burnishing" the holes. That part made some sense, but then he polished the rod.

Unless I missed something, over time, that means there is a good chance the rod will loosen in the hole. The rod now is slightly smaller in diameter than the hole. Wood shrinks, mainly the thin sides of these style planes. I'd think the tighter the fit, the less risk of chatter.

Probably falls into the "yeah, but it doesn't really matter" category. I watch too many machining video :)

Jim

willarda

New User
Bill Anderson
Using a brass rod to capture the wedge is definitely NOT the way to go. The "traditional" Krenov style plane uses a wooden bar with a flattened face. This is more work to fabricate and to install, but is way more efficient. Think about it, the total surface contact between the wedge and the brass bar is infinitely small (a tangential line on the bar is the only contact with the wedge). To get your wedge to seat tightly, after you snug it down, you will inevitably get a scalloped pressure deformation on the face of the wedge. After this has happened, the wedge will never again be able to be tightened without resurfacing it some some exent. As opposed to the infinitely small surface contact of the former method, using the traditional bar gives about 1 square inch of contact (1/2" long and 2" wide or so), plus that is a tilting flat face so that the wedge is snugged down without any damage or wear. The only reason the brass bar is used is because it is simple to install and maybe looks cool, but it inevitably wastes all the effort in making the plane. Just my two cents!

Glad ya'll enjoy it.

His displayed safety practices left a lot to be desired, in my book. I think its probably the combination of his experience and what works on "tv". I saw a DIY handyman show where the carpenter used his hammer to as a push stick. The steel handle of his hammer. I actually leaped out of my chair and started shouting......

The thing he did that left me most baffled was putting the brass rod in the drill press and "burnishing" the holes. That part made some sense, but then he polished the rod.

Unless I missed something, over time, that means there is a good chance the rod will loosen in the hole. The rod now is slightly smaller in diameter than the hole. Wood shrinks, mainly the thin sides of these style planes. I'd think the tighter the fit, the less risk of chatter.

Probably falls into the "yeah, but it doesn't really matter" category. I watch too many machining video :)

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Wow, great explanation. I hadn't considered the small contact issue.

Oh, I think you have a great new slogan for the back of your tee shirts!

"A tangential line on the bar is the only contact with the wedge!"

Jim

Using a brass rod to capture the wedge is definitely NOT the way to go. The "traditional" Krenov style plane uses a wooden bar with a flattened face. This is more work to fabricate and to install, but is way more efficient. Think about it, the total surface contact between the wedge and the brass bar is infinitely small (a tangential line on the bar is the only contact with the wedge). To get your wedge to seat tightly, after you snug it down, you will inevitably get a scalloped pressure deformation on the face of the wedge. After this has happened, the wedge will never again be able to be tightened without resurfacing it some some exent. As opposed to the infinitely small surface contact of the former method, using the traditional bar gives about 1 square inch of contact (1/2" long and 2" wide or so), plus that is a tilting flat face so that the wedge is snugged down without any damage or wear. The only reason the brass bar is used is because it is simple to install and maybe looks cool, but it inevitably wastes all the effort in making the plane. Just my two cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS