Computer help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:eusa_prayI was in a Facebook page and all of a sudden my PC shut down the internet and it told me that I had over 32 "trojans" in my computer and I needed to download "Personal Security" it looked like it was from "Windows" and it took me by surprise. So it is downloaded now - bad mistake I do believe - I can not get it off of my PC now and alot of things are going crazy with it - I am on my daughter's LT right now - any suggestions

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Buy Spy Doctor and install and run it

Will this help me get this off- it keeps telling me that this site is a bad site - mt icons are gone on my desk top - I have McAfee virus protection and I have ran it and it says everything is ok - I have IOLO System Mechanic and it says everything is ok - So I don't know what the problem is- This "personal security" system keeps telling me I have now over 42 problems and it wants me to register so they can clear it all off

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I had the same thing happen a while ago. I bought spy doctor and got rid of thr bogus security program. Good luck.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
go to Avast and install Avast4Home. I have used this product numerous times to address exactly the problem you have described. Avast4Home is a free product for the home user, and I have encouraged my (former) customers to use this AntiVirus/internet security application exclusively. I use it on my own computers, too, with no issues for over two years now. You can register Avast4Home, and the license is good for 14 months, when you register it, you will be encouraged to buy a slightly more robust version, but as you will see on the bottom of the registration screen, it says "No thanks, I will stick with my free product". Click on that, and you will be safe.

enjoy!

Guy in Paradise

New User
Guy Belleman
clean the whole thing and start over

You can clean and clean with spydoctor and antivirus, but you will never get rid of all of the problems now in the registry until you put in the backup install disk and reload windows and all of the other programs. Those programs may minimize the problem for a while, and you might then be able to load all of your "valuable" files onto an external hard drive, or some other resource, but the problems in the registry will continue to cause problems, like reloading the trojans, etc.

Just my two cents, but with my four kids and their four computers, I have found this to be the only real solution. Yes, I have PC Tools Firewall Plus and Avast, but still every 6 to 7 months, I find myself cleaning their computer. All of these great products still miss some items, and they build up over time.

And never, never load one of those "must downloads now".

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
My son owns a computer repair store. Most of his business is virus removal. Use Avast, use Spy doctor. Never download anything that you are not positive of. He is so busy with removing viruses that it takes 2 weeks turnaround time.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
John may have been half kidding, but I know a few people with MACs and they've never had an issue. I wish I could afford one.

The program you downloaded and installed is a bear to get rid of. Avast may help, but this particular virus sets up several services that run from the registry. I have had to remove this one and others like it a few times, and it always requires going into the registry and deleting a pile of HKeys. Wish I could tell you which ones they are, but I have to research it every time one of my friends calls with this issue.

If you aren't confident in editing the registry, take it into a shop. If you don't want to spend the money, reload the machine, and call it a lesson learned.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have tried to download the removal program that is recommened to get this off of my computer but nothing works - it will not let me run any software that will take it off of the PC - I have tried to go into "safe mode" and remove it no good - I have done a total shut down no good - unpluged it from the wall so that it ould go back to the original date of manfucturing - no good - I can download these things everyone has mentioned but it want let me run tem when prompted - I just don't want anything personal stolen

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I just re-read you post. If this came up while you were in Facebook, it has been sitting resident on the machine for some unknown amount of time, and you are probably really infected.

If it were me, I'd probably back up my critical data, and reload.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
The reason it won't let you install/run any of the removal programs is because it's in the registry. I have seen this particular little nasty take the machine over to the point where you can't install anything.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
:eusa_prayI was in a Facebook page and all of a sudden my PC shut down the internet and it told me that I had over 32 "trojans" in my computer and I needed to download "Personal Security" it looked like it was from "Windows" and it took me by surprise. So it is downloaded now - bad mistake I do believe - I can not get it off of my PC now and alot of things are going crazy with it - I am on my daughter's LT right now - any suggestions

This is what I would try. This program has a 15 day trial.
http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Home-Home-Office/VIPRE/

Download the program on another PC and burn it to CD or put it on a USB drive if it fits.
Boot you infected PC to "safe" mode. This can be tricky to get into because there is a narrow window before jumping from the initial ROM BIOS to Windows. What I would do is right after you reboot, wait for the BIOS message, then lay on the "F8" key. If windows comes up, you were too late.

Safe mode bypasses a lot of the stuff that these trojans use to start themselves. You should be able to install the above program from CD/USB.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Phillip,

A lot of these trojans, once running, are smart enough to recognize and block the installation or running of anti-virus/anti spyware software. Here's what I suggest trying before taking it in.

1. Download a good Anti-Virus program. Avast is good, I've also had good luck with AVG (free editions can be obtained at download.com). Also make sure you go to the software's homepage and download the most recent updates. If your daughter's laptop has a CD burner I'd do it from there then burn these files onto a disk
  2. Boot the infected computer into Safe-mode without networking. This should skip all but the most essential registry settings and hopefully prevent the trojan from running
  3. Install the anti-virus software and anti-spyware software while in safe mode and do a full scan. Hopefully it will now be able to clean out the infection.
  4. Cross your fingers and re-boot.
  5. If that doesn't do it you're really stuck either doing a manual removal of the trojan (which involves A LOT of digging around in the File system and registry) or a re-install of the OS (perhaps using the recovery disk you got from the manufacturer.
Good luck and I'm happy to help over the phone if you have questions. Shoot me a PM and I'll send contact info.

Travis

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Phillip,

Something similar happened to me a few years ago while on myspace. This may be a long shot, but have you tried a system restore? If not, try this:

Reboot in safe mode *you may or may not be able to do this in safe mode but I'd try it in safe mode first

Start

All Programs

Accessories

System Tools

System Restore

Restore my computer to an earlier time

Then a calendar will come up and you can pick a restore point going back to yesterday or possibly months/maybe years in the past. I would start with just a few days ago in hopes that it was something you clicked on yesterday.

Then go ahead and click next and it should reboot your computer with everything exactly how it was on that particular point in the past. Again, it is a long shot, but it may work. I had something very similar and that worked for me. Then you can download some of the software that everyone else has mentioned, run it, and that should get rid of anything else.

Good luck, and keep us posted. :icon_thum

jamie

jamie
Senior User
Download the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

then run the app. The free version should remove the app. That will buy you time to research all the options. I eneded up going with vipre.

Another vote for MWB. I have used that on my mothers computer, and it was the ONLY thing that could get it clean.

(OK, my FIRST vote is 'buy a mac' also. If it costs too much, get ubuntu linux for the PC).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS