Computer help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
My experience with these kinds of malware has been that it takes many steps to remove them. I have not found one program that was effective in removal. Most of the ones I have seen required manual removal steps like removing keys (many keys) from the system registry.

The 2 most effective options for someone that doesn't have the tools or experience to do that:
1) Save what you can and re-load the OS and all of your apps
2) Bring the PC into a shop that can remove the malware for you. Or at least save what they can and do the OS re-load for you.

Option 2 is probably less painful, except to the wallet.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
this is presisely the reason I dont use facebook, myspace or any of the "hey here i am" sites. we use panda and have not seen a virus attack in years. it is kinda pricey but it works. norton and mcaffee didn't cut it for us.YMMV. as someone already said your best bet is a complete reinstall. wipe it and start over. save what you can but dont put it back in until it has been scoured for bits and pieces of the virus. good luck!:icon_thum

fergy

New User
Fergy
I used to use AVG and Norton, but had issues with both. I've since moved to Kaspersky, after getting just this sort of thing on my desktop PC. Spybot and the others didn't touch the malware. Kaspersky and a regedit cleaned me up quite well.

I keep Kaspersky running now, and while it's a little more complicated, it's done great.

Of course, I also got a nice new Macbook Pro for work. :)

nicemac

New User
Kevin
Buy a Mac?

(I couldn't resist)

I support almost 400 Macs daily. I recommend them to any that ever asks what they should do in this type of situation. I had a co-worker, a pc guy, tell me he got tired of "fixing" his "wife and kids" computer so on my recommendation he bought them a Mac. I sat in a meeting with him last week and he told me it had been over 5 years since he touched their computer...

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I agree with Trent. Being able to restore your PC to condition before your problem essentially eliminates all the bad stuff. These sort of things are called scareware. They sit on various sites and popup on some trigger. The point is to "coax" you into downloading some program that fixes the problem. At best, you get a so-so product. At worst, you download real bad stuff. Sounds like yours has written stuff to the registry that now is preventing you from doing anything of use. I hope you can restore it to an earlier date because finding and correcting all the registry hacks is tough.

I run an application called Acronis Home. Although it won't help you now, it will save some future headaches. What it does is run scheduled disk or partition images, which basically are clones of the data. I do my c:\ drive (which is small and contains only system stuff) once a week. Any tough problem can then be reversed fairly easily.

On the plus side, I don't think anything personal (photos, tax records, etc) is damaged by these things. You'll be wanting to back all that stuff up ASAP.

Good luck - sorry I am not more help

-g

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
When it happened to me, I tried restoring....didn't work because it was in the registry. I even tried to delete the file in the registry that was causing it, but I guess Windows didn;t like that one. I could get the pop-ups from happening by hitting ctrl alt del and clicking end tasks. I ended any of the programs that looked strange and were eating up the CPU or Memory (doesn't matter if you make a mistake because they will all start back up after a reboot). I tried freeware, but that didn't work. My anit-virus didn't detect it either. I disconnected my internet connection (this was first by the way) and installed a copy of spy doctor that I bought from Best Buy, It found and cleaned numerous Trojans and after a reboot, I was able to download the updates and clean the rest.

Good luck

JohnDistai

New User
John
My wife decided to get into this Facebook stuff, and I forbade her using our PC for it. I knew that Facebook would be an attractive target for hackers. I got a Mac, and we haven't had any problems with her using Facebook or any other site. Mac's, like Festools, are items you have to just swallow hard and suffer through it...

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have been able to get the ICON off of the desk top and the icon out of the start up menu - but everytime I go to the "add/remove" and try to remove it there all of the icons go away on the desk top - then I reboot it and they come back -

TheLazyC

New User
Ken
If you have access to another computer, download MalwareBytes. A carry over to the infected computer on a USB flash drive. You may be able to do it form the infected computer. You can also trying CTRL - ALT - DEL and end any processes that resemble the virus. After you install Malwarebytes on your computer, do an update to the software and then run it, it will scan your computer and give you a list of bad files, click remove, then reboot and run it again. Just ignore the pop ups, don't even try to close them, just leave them on the screen and slide the window off to the side.

Rebooting the computer and immediately running Task Manager to kill the virus process helps.

At my shop we clean anywhere from 5 to 10 computers each day with the same virus. Bad for consumers but a real good deal for computer shops.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Phillip, if all else fails, bring your tower and any associated software you have to me and I will get it back up and running for you. May take a while though, with my current load.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
I work on a computer every day. I hate computers. They get dusty. They occupy everyone's time whether they are working or not. They have made us too dependant on them and they are becoming the downfall of our society!! They are making us crazy and lazy and someday they will take over just like in the movies!!. The only good thing about them is you can find good used tools and good fishing spots on them:rotflm:

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
Forgot to mention.....find the company that created this virus and you'll know which software to buy to fix it:roll:

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
I work on a computer every day. I hate computers. They get dusty. They occupy everyone's time whether they are working or not. They have made us too dependant on them and they are becoming the downfall of our society!! They are making us crazy and lazy and someday they will take over just like in the movies!!. The only good thing about them is you can find good used tools and good fishing spots on them:rotflm:
That reminds me of this email:

MY LIVING WILL

Last night, my adult kids and I were sitting in the living room and I said to them, 'I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug.'
They got up, unplugged the Computer, and threw out my wine.

SGalley

New User
Scott W. Galley
That reminds me of this email:

MY LIVING WILL

Last night, my adult kids and I were sitting in the living room and I said to them, 'I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle. If that ever happens, just pull the plug.'
They got up, unplugged the Computer, and threw out my wine.

That's funny:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS