Cleaning Pitch from Saw Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I know that this has been discussed numerous times, but I have Freud table saw blades that accumulate pitch on the carbide tips. Freud recommends kerosene as a cleaner, but it just doesn;t seem to cut the pitch for me. I have tried using bristle and brass bristle brushes, but the pitch stubbornly stays put even after soaking for days.

Do you think that making a small scraper out of brass or aluminum would damage the carbide tips? A scraper is the only option I seem to have because brushes don't seem to work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

walnutjerry

New User
Jerry
I have found that oven cleaner does a great job removing pitch from saw blades. I also use a brass bristle brush along with it if I get in a hurry. Rinse good with hot water afterward and dry.

Jerry

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found that link interesting. Baking soda or strong coffee. Hmmmm...... I wonder what it'd cost to soak a saw blade or 2 in some o' that frappucino stuff from Starbuck's?:gar-La;

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
If you want to spend a few buck$, I have had great success with the CMT 2050 cleaner. I'm not cutting a lot of sappy pine or whatever, but this stuff cleans my blades in about 30 minutes.:icon_thum Not sure if Woodcraft has a sample bottle so you can "try before you buy", but might be worth asking.
web5396tmb.jpg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Denatured alcohol works well for me. Dissolves the resin in about 5 minutes to where it easily wipes off with a rag or using a tooth brush or soft bristle parts brush for the worst spots. Doesn't damage the factory coating on the blade and doesn' chemically react with the solder on the teeth or the carbide like a strong alkaline cleaner will.

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I take a lid from a drywall compound bucket and place blade in it. Then I spray the teeth with LA's Awesome from the dollar store. I like the orange kind, as it smells better. If the blade is really gunked up, I take a second lid and place on top of the first, and let blade steep a few minutes. Then I take either a nylon, of brass brush and clean blade. The brushes come from HF and are often on sale for less than a buck for a pack of three that includes a nylon, brass, and stainless steel brushes. Rinse, dry and spray with rust preventive. Main thing is to not wait till it is an impossible job.

adowden

New User
Amy
I use Rockler's pitch and resin cleaner to clean my freud blades and it does a great job. Back around Christmas they had a set of the concentrated cleaner, a pan to fit the blade in, a brass brush, and a little container for router bits on clearance for around $10. The pan even has a spout to pour the solution back out. I just store it in a one gallon milk jug.

It looks like they don't have the clearanced kit anymore. Here is a link to the new kit ($25):

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18197&filter=resin cleaner

I'm cheap. I would only buy the cleaner and I would buy an oil pan somewhere else.

Amy

M

McRabbet

I use a product called Sprayway No. 836 Saw Cleaner (Pitch and Gum Remover), but it needs to be used with caution (as shown in this NIH report) because it contains quite a bit of Sodium Hydroxide. It is a spray product -- I don nitrile gloves and use it on the blade in a plastic tray and then loosen any stubborn pitch using a stiff nylon brush after letting it soak for 4-5 minutes. Then I Wipe off all of the residue with a clean terry cloth rag and spray the blade with a thin film of WD-40, which gets wiped off as well. Blades look like new. I know that Oven cleaner has lots of Sodium Hydroxide too and that is why Freud doesn't like it, but I've never seen any problems using this stuff the way I do.

I'd like to hear from Charles M if he thinks I'm compromising my good carbide blades (I haven't used it on my Freud LU85R012 96-tooth ultimate, 'cause it stays clean!!).

Charles M

New User
Charles
I use a product called Sprayway No. 836 Saw Cleaner (Pitch and Gum Remover), but it needs to be used with caution (as shown in this NIH report) because it contains quite a bit of Sodium Hydroxide. It is a spray product -- I don nitrile gloves and use it on the blade in a plastic tray and then loosen any stubborn pitch using a stiff nylon brush after letting it soak for 4-5 minutes. Then I Wipe off all of the residue with a clean terry cloth rag and spray the blade with a thin film of WD-40, which gets wiped off as well. Blades look like new. I know that Oven cleaner has lots of Sodium Hydroxide too and that is why Freud doesn't like it, but I've never seen any problems using this stuff the way I do.

I'd like to hear from Charles M if he thinks I'm compromising my good carbide blades (I haven't used it on my Freud LU85R012 96-tooth ultimate, 'cause it stays clean!!).

Sodium Hydroxide (Lye) is one of the chemicals to avoid as it will attack the bond between the cobalt and the tungsten and might also affect the brazing. Sounds like that's about the same as oven cleaner.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
I've been using a solution of TSP with good success for a long time. Soak times are a bit longer (hour or two) but it's cheap and works well.

-G

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Boiling hot water and dish soap.

Beware, Palmolive softens the blades so much that you won't need to use any Oil of Olay to keep the blade soft and silky smooth..... (kidding).

Jim

sapwood

New User
Roger
I've been using a solution of TSP with good success for a long time. Soak times are a bit longer (hour or two) but it's cheap and works well.

-G

What's TSP?
It's not in our lexicon . . . perhaps we need to add it?

Google search turned up:
Thrift Savings Plan
Team Software Process
Time Series Processor
Traveling Salesman Problem (really :roll:)
Telecommunications Service Priority

Roger

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
While I'd like to see Travelling Sales Persons soaking in boiling water, its Tri-Sodium Phosphate.

Jim

russellellis

New User
Russell
i have never tried tsp for that before. but it makes sense. i use it all the time when having to paint any wood that doesnt get sanded. paneling, cabinets, old stained/poly'd trim. i use steel wool and tsp before painting and i never have peel off. ill have to try some on a blade.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks folks!
I'll add it to the lexicon.

Roger

Make that double thanks :icon_thum:icon_thum
Someone already done it :eusa_sile

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor