Biesemeyer Splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Last month I had a bad case of Woodguy disease and went on a binge buying a bunch of little stuff here and there. It didn't help that Amazon had a sale going on so that just added to the desires.

One of the things I bought was a Biesemeyer Splitter for my PM 66 tablesaw. Considering I have not used the splitter/guard that came with the saw, I have felt like I have been pushing my luck and ordered it.

So, for about a $120 this is what you get.
splitter parts.JPG

For the PM 66, you have to take out an existing bolt and replace it with a new bolt to attach the splitter. If it isn't lining up right and you can't adjust it to be in line, you will have to grind down what they call the jack screw (part of the original saw guard mounting assembly) to get it to line up. Fortunately I did not. Otherwise you have one more bolt that pulls the assembly snug to the rear saw trunion and that is it.
splitter installed.JPG
So, I have used it a bit now and learned a few things. First, you cannot use 3/32" blades with it. The splitter is about 3/32" and it is not a big enough kerf for the splitter to work. I have since put a 1/8" blade back in the saw and I can say I am satisfied with it. The kickback pawls don't get in the way and taking the splitter out is just a popping the blade insert out and pulling a lever, no tools needed. I think it is a bit on the expensive side compare to what you get.

Chuck had commented to me at the picnic that he bought a Delta brand for about a 1/3 of the cost, and it looked exactly like the Biesemeyer which is more in line for what I think it should cost. My .02

Monty

New User
Monty
Looks good - thanks for the review. The quick-release feature is the key here, IMHO. I didn't realize it was quick-release - does the Delta require a wrench? Easy setup is the key to making sure it gets used instead of collecting dust in a drawer somewhere (perhaps next to your stock splitter/blade guard?!?!? :lol: )

T

toolferone

There is a less expensive Delta model, but I am pretty sure it would not fit the PM66. It is not a universal fit. It removes pretty easy, by a large knurled knob that does not come off the mount.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Chuck will have to answer that as to the Delta being quick release. The splitter for the PM66 is quite specific. You even have to have a specific one depending on when the saw was manufactured. The Biesemeyer is quick release as Tom notes, and I believe Chuck made the same comment to me Saturday.

I will say the instructions and pictures to install it was very good.

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
Travis,

When I got my PM 66 , I looked at the Bies and at that time, it seemed to be getting a lot of bad press. I worked with the guy who makes the Shark Guard / splitters to develop a system for the 66. It attaches and detaches with a 1/4 turn of a rachet handle. So far, it has met all my needs and if and when I get decent DC to the TS, I will probably use the guard.

MIke

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I bought the Delta version of the Biese splitter, Delta P/N 1349941. Here's a link showing installation instructions. http://www.sawcenter.com/splitter.htm

I have read a few places elsewhere where this splitter has been installed on a few saws, the Griz 1023 in particular, but not sure which others. This splitter is NOT quick release. Pop out the insert, turn a knurled knob a few twists (thumb and forefinger), pop out the splitter, pop in the insert. A sloth could remove/install it in 20 seconds. It isn't a TRUE riving knife (it doesn't move up/down with the blade) but it does tilt with the trunnion.

The stock Delta splitter that came with the Uni SUCKS. This is a huge improvement. I use the splitter religiously now. It works very well.

The Delta's around 35 dollars and the Biese is 3 or 4 times as much. I don't think the quick release is worth the addl price IF the Delta will fit your saw. Of course, that's the question, huh?

It fits my Uni perfectly!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Chuck

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, I have now had to adjust the splitter for the third and hopefully the final time. Initially, I had it too far to the left, then too far to the right, and now I think I have it just right. Unfortunately, it is a ROYAL PITA to adjust. I have to remove the blade, 4 allen screws, the center bolt, turn the big threaded nut, and then put it all together. It does seem to be right now, but it takes a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS