Air filtration finished "The Beast"

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoney

New User
Tony
Well I finally finished my air filtration system and got it up on the ceiling. I have nicknamed it "The Beast" simply because of its size and the amount of air it is blowing around. After about 1 minute I could see cobwebs all around the garage swaying in the breeze. Thanks to everybody for your help and knowledge with my questions while I was pondering building this thing.
IMG_3185.JPG

View image in gallery

IMG_31891.JPG

View image in gallery

IMG_3188.JPG

View image in gallery

IMG_31861.JPG

View image in gallery

lottathought

New User
Michael
Looks similar to mine.
Suddenly I found all the missing heat that was in the garage when it started blowing back down from the ceiling.
You are going to like it.

dlrion

New User
Dan
Good job!

You got a squirrel cage in there?? More than one speed? I need to make one soon.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Are there any drawings / plans for this thing? I'm trying to work my way toward a cleaner shop. Recently picked up a Steel City DC. Gotta go get some hoses and fittings now.

stoney

New User
Tony
I got the blower from a local HVAC dealer in Richmond. Not only was it free the owner of the company even asked me if I wanted one of his guys to build a box for it. I had to buy the timer, filters, eye bolts, chain and power cord, all the rest I had lying around the shop. Right now I have it on the low speed and the way I put it together I can get to the motor to swap the speeds quite easy, all I have to do is remove the filters to get to the inside of the box. I have more pictures of the build in the gallery section and I also have a crude drawing I can post on there also.

CardinalCyn

New User
Cynthia
Nice job! I really have to do better about containing the airborne sawdust in my shop. How big is the filter side, and could it possibly be reworked with 5 sides pulling in filtered air and one side exhausting (out the back or top)? That would pull a lot more airborne sawdust, I am thinking... but perhaps my thinking is flawed. Someone help me out here!

Glennbear

Glenn
Without going into the gory technical details, any given blower is going to move X CFM of air. When you increase the surface area of your intake you are dividing the CFM across the additional filter media. ( X/5 in your scenario) IMHO you reach a point of diminishing return where the intake air flow has lost so much velocity that the filtration becomes ineffective. YMMV. As I told Tony in an earlier post, when I built my first shop built air cleaner I used a thicker filter and it seemed to work better. :wsmile:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS