advice on coffin smoother planes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjgreen

New User
Tim
I recently came across some wooden coffin smoothers for sale. I know nothing about wooden planes except that Roy uses them. I've only seen a bad picture so I couldn't tell you who made them or whether they're valuable, but I doubt it - the guy is offering 6 of them for around $25. I'm not a collector, just looking for tools I can tune up and use, and they look old and interesting. The question is, are they worth $25 and a bit of a drive? I know, tough question without knowing anything about them. So I guess the alternate question is, on this or future purchases, what do I look for when I get there to know if I should bring them home with me?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
A few things to look at.

Check the fit of the wedge and the abutment. If the fit is bad or the abutments look badly cracked, you won't have a good fit. There isn't much you can do to fix that.

Also check the wedge. If its stuck or broken, you could be looking to some large effort.

If the wedge isn't stuck, inspect the iron for pitting. While you can buy new irons, its not often worth the expense. There are just too many good wooden planes out there in the used market.

Single irons are from a different era. They will likely be tapered in their length and may be laminated. You may be able to see where the thin hard steel is forged welded to a softer iron body. A two part iron (iron with a chipbreaker) is ok too. Once tool steel was easier to make, the makers went from thicker single irons to much thinner two piece irons.

I would say a single iron (IMHO) is more desirable, but thats a person opinion.

A bad sole or a wide open mouth can be addressed, but will take some time to fix. Patching the mouth and adding a new layer to the sole is very doable.

Slight amounts of checking in the body is surprisingly ok. Its a byproduct of the use of beech. But beech doesn't split like say oak, so you can live with some checking.

Look for a Makers Mark, not just an owners mark. Many planes that were not up to snuff were sold off without their mark. They could be of poor quality.

I'd not pay much more than $20 for an excellent example of a wooden smoother. Unless its from a good maker or appears in near perfect condition.

Hope that helps.

Jim

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Thanks Jim - as always very helpful. From the pic he sent, one is a single thick iron, the rest are iron + chipbreaker. Pretty much impossible to see much else though. To be clear, he's asking $25 for all 6 together, but as someone here said recently, elephants for a quarter are only a good deal if you need an elephant.

James Davis

New User
James Davis
If they look good and the irons fit the plane and wedge and the irons are not too badly pitted(take the iron and chip breaker apart to see the back of the iron) then they may well be worth the effort. Look at them as a lot, as Jim said $15.00 to $20.00 is not terrible to pay for a woodie, so if there are a few good ones then it may well be worth pursuing.

James

sash plane

New User
steve
Something else that may be worth the 25 even if the wood is bad.....

If the iron's are in good shape...they may be worth 25 or more as replacements in a good smoother you may find...later say at the RDU tool show....???

Oh....
Even if the pic has what looks like a single iron..... it may still be a iron in need of chip breaker..
I got 1 that way..... iron... no chip breaker....

And you can always sell it to Cracker Barrel....:rotflm:

tjgreen

New User
Tim
Something else that may be worth the 25 even if the wood is bad.....

If the iron's are in good shape...they may be worth 25 or more as replacements in a good smoother you may find...later say at the RDU tool show....???

Oh....
Even if the pic has what looks like a single iron..... it may still be a iron in need of chip breaker..
I got 1 that way..... iron... no chip breaker....

And you can always sell it to Cracker Barrel....:rotflm:
Now that's some good advice - maybe I could trade them to Cracker Barrel for some biscuits and gravy. mmm....

Getting them Friday, so maybe I'll bring them along to the picnic and you guys can help ID them. Or help me pass them on to the next sucker at the swap meet :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS