A big thanks to Bruce (junquecoll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Although Bruce was not on the picnic planing committee, he provided a great deal of effort to the success of this picnic and I want to be sure that he is recognized and knows that he has my thanks. I agreed to cook the BBQ without first thinking thru all that had to be done. There was more involved than just spending a few hours on the day it was cooked. I had to have the meat very early Friday morning and the chopped BBQ had to be refrigerated Friday night, but I certainly didn't have the refrigeration necessary to store 9 shoulders overnight. Bruce read a post of mine stating that, and the next thing I knew, there was a refrigerator and also a chest freezer in my garage, courtesy of Bruce. Pete brought the shoulders Thursday afternoon, so that problem was solved. Bruce explained to me that the time it took to cool the meat from the cooker temperature to a safe 40 degrees had to be fairly quick to avoid bacteria from creating potential problems. He provided aluminum pans in which I froze about an inch or so of water. Once the meat was chopped, a pan of meat was sandwiched between two pans of ice and placed in the refrigerator....presto, problem solved. Pork is normally chopped with meat cleavers and can be a time consuming arm numbing experience. He provided a chop box which resulted in everything being chopped in 30 minutes. We never thought about how to keep the BBQ warm while on the serving line. Guess who showed up with racks for the pans and burners that were placed beneath those racks? He also provided the chicken cooker with the flip-over grate which meant that each individual piece of chicken did not have to be turned. He also provided a chest of slaw, among other things.

If it sounds as if I am singing Bruce's praises, I am. He certainly made my job much, much easier and, as far as I know, no one has gotten sick from eating bacteria-laced pork. Thanks Bruce and I'll see you Monday when you make another trip to Chapel Hill to get the refrigerator, freezer, and chop box. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Not only was Bruce instrumental in the meat, he's also a kind, comapssionate fellow.

He didn't give me any grief for dumping 10 gallons of sweet tea he brought.

Lift from the handle, lift from the handle.......

Jim

R

rickc

Thanks for your help and knowledge about properly storing and preparing the meat! :icon_cheers

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
As I stated before Santa does exist :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum Thanks Bruce for all you do to help support NCWW and it members :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Not only was Bruce instrumental in the meat, he's also a kind, comapssionate fellow.

He didn't give me any grief for dumping 10 gallons of sweet tea he brought.

Lift from the handle, lift from the handle.......

Jim

Jim, I wasn't going to say anything unless Bruce put together a lineup. :crossedlips:

I was glad to finally meet Bruce in person. For years I have witnessed him have the answers to the widest array of questions on this site. It's like going to the Emerald City to seek guidance from the Wizard! Thanks for all of your help Bruce. I hope that you made it home safely. Could you actually see to drive (his car was packed FULL)?

And thanks again to everyone who helped make it a great success! :icon_cheers

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Great job Bruce ! Thanks. I was happy to see the 'slaw and wondered where it came from:icon_thum. You've got to have 'slaw on bbq sandwiches, also some hot sauce.:gar-La;

MikeH

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Bruce!!! and....Thanks to everyone else who made the picnic a success. Katie and I had a great time and she even got to play down at the beach with JimmyC's kids although I was a bonehead and didn't bring a bathing suit for her. I am already looking forward to next year.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Oh yeah . . . Bruce even took a food tray to the lady at the gate for lunch :swoon:

Tip of the hat to you, Bruce :icon_thum

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS