8th in. cab. grd. ply.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Ok folks got a question for ya. I've got a couple lap desk to build.I use 8th in.Ply.But I've got a problem the piece I want to use has gone wavy on me.Is there any way to got it to flaten back out? My plan is to treecycle so the piece is already finished on one side.I don't want to mess up the finish if I can help it. What to do? What to do?:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

mshel

Michael Shelley
Corporate Member
This is just throwing darts at the wall but what if:

you used some veneer softner on the back side and following the directions, put it between some newspaper and wood cauls and clamp the heck out of it until it is dry?

Since it is thin, this might just take.

??????????????

Mike

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Steam it. Try using an old steam iron on the highest/hottest setting you can obtain. Wet the wood with a spray bottle and sponge. When the wood is fairly wet (not sopping) place the piece on something very, very flat - such as your tablesaw. With a sheet, an old towel or some paper under it move over the wood slowly, but not so slowly that you risk scorching the wood.

When it is flat put wooden cauls (ones that will not stain the wood) on top of it and weight them down - I like to use my tool chests but anything heavy will do. You are likely going to need to do this several times, each time getting closer. If so, flip the piece and work on alternate sides. Patience is key - don't get frustrated and try to get it all back at once. If it comes back you will need to wait several weeks for it to properly season again. Best of luck ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS