Your Recommendations on These Two Miter Saws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I am shopping for a new 12" miter saw and these two are the main candidates:

Ridgid 12 miter.jpg
Ridgid MS1290LZA

Hitachi 12 Miter.jpg

Hitachi C12RSH

The two saws have almost identical specs with the Hitachi being the price winner - $100.00 less than Ridgid. I have read that the Hitachi is discounted because it is being discontinued. As with most tool shoppers, I am looking for reliability, accuracy and support.

Please share your experiences and/or your opinions of these two saws.

Thanks

-Barry

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I haven't used either of these models specifically but have had better results with the Hitachi than the Ridgid miter saws. If you're using it in a fixed location in your shop, you may look at the ease of blade changing and the guard layout. Personally I prefer the smaller diameter sliding compound miter saw if it is to be a portable unit going from job to job. The 12" saws seem too bulky for their function. You should have no problem with service on either unit.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
My Bosch us a standard 12 inch saw and sometimes I wish I had a little more reach. So, the smaller sliding saw may win out there.

not sure what I would buy if shopping now.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
A friend owns the Hitachi and has been well satisfied. I own a Bosch 12" Compound Miter Saw and really like it.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I should have revealed full disclosure that I currently own a Hitachi 10" miter saw that only cost $99.00 a few years ago - with a free Hitachi random orbital sander thrown into the deal. That saw has served me well but is often too small to cut some material.

I have seen more online reviews of the Hitachi C12RSH than the Ridgid MS1290LZA and they are mostly positive. One reviewer stated that his Hitachi had a hairline fracture in the base casting which he did not see until it worsened to the point that it made his saw useless. He further related that Hitachi would not honor his warranty claim. Hitachi said he caused the problem. I am seriously considering the Hitachi, partly because of cost and partly due to my previous good experiences with Hitachi products. If I buy the Hitachi I will examine the castings with a magnifying glass.;)

Gunnage

New User
Greg
I have the rigid 12" slider. It works well, but in general isn't as accurate as the smaller ones. That being said, the extra reach is handy for cutting wider rough boards The only problem is the bar on the back is very long. I'd like to make one of those miter saw stations that sits against the wall, but I'd have to make the top ~42" deep, which is not really practical for much else.

I have about decided I am going to save up for the 10" Bosch one because it has an articulating arm, so it gets the reach without needing as much footprint.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I should have revealed full disclosure that I currently own a Hitachi 10" miter saw that only cost $99.00 a few years ago - with a free Hitachi random orbital sander thrown into the deal. That saw has served me well but is often too small to cut some material.

I have seen more online reviews of the Hitachi C12RSH than the Ridgid MS1290LZA and they are mostly positive. One reviewer stated that his Hitachi had a hairline fracture in the base casting which he did not see until it worsened to the point that it made his saw useless. He further related that Hitachi would not honor his warranty claim. Hitachi said he caused the problem. I am seriously considering the Hitachi, partly because of cost and partly due to my previous good experiences with Hitachi products. If I buy the Hitachi I will examine the castings with a magnifying glass.;)

And this is why I've started considering the extended warranties, especially when it costs $10 to $20. Don't have to hassle with manufacturer saying "you broke it, no warranty for you!"

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I have seen more online reviews of the Hitachi C12RSH than the Ridgid MS1290LZA and they are mostly positive. One reviewer stated that his Hitachi had a hairline fracture in the base casting which he did not see until it worsened to the point that it made his saw useless. He further related that Hitachi would not honor his warranty claim. Hitachi said he caused the problem. I am seriously considering the Hitachi said:
This warranty story would also fit most any of the manufacturers. I've heard similar stories from other brands...and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the owner for buying again. I like buying in store for this kind of thing, and like opening boxes before I leave the premises so if there's an issue, I go right back in and get it corrected. So far I've had no issues though. Now so far as these two saws, I think I'd go with the Hitachi also, I seem to believe they are a bit better made and user friendly, but have not used either of these listed. There are plenty of times that I wish I had a sliding miter though, I have a Tradesman that is dead on accurate, but does not have the sliding feature, and I'd not buy another one without that.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I have a Hitachi 10" that I've had for a couple of years with no problems and would not hesitate to buy another Hitachi miter saw.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Just from looking at the two saws, I think I would lean towards the Ridgid. I like the table size on the Ridgid (Hitachi table size looks small) as well as the horizontal operator handle (versus the vertical one on the Hitachi). The Ridgid comes with a 3-year warranty and lifetime service agreement (register within 90 days of purchase). I think the Hitachi has a 5-year warranty. But then again, the Ridgid is $100 more....

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts, recommendations and experiences. Taking all factors into consideration (Christopher, I agree with you about the Hitachi table size) I'm going with the Hitachi.

Thanks again!:)

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
I have the Hitachi 12 inch sliding saw and have been very pleased with the saw. I recommend the slider if you can go the extra money as it allows you to cut off wider boards.

The only downside is that it takes a lot of room behind the saw to slide so I have my cabinets about 12 inches from the wall taking up valuable floor space in the shop. It is very overpriced but the Festool kapex does not take up as much room.

I am finding now that I have a festool plunge saw I use the compound miter less and less as it seems safer (may be an illusion). I can also cut a straight line up to 8' or cross cut any width very straight and accurate at any angle. It also weighs less for mobile applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS