Your Ideas For Replacing Shop Vac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
OK, it is the Craftsman 3HP, 8 Gal, Wet/Dry Vac (red stripe filter). It is over 10 yrs old. Still works, but blows air out at the handles (a design flaw for controlling dust). So I am thinking of something that will be less of a dust pump.

The contenders for purchase are the Ridgid Pro Utility Vac (6.5 HP, 16 Gal) , Ridigid 6 HP/14 Gal, Craftsman (6.5 HP/20 Gal, and Craftsman 5 HP/12 Gal.

ACobra289

New User
Bill
I recently purchased a Shop-Vac brand shop vac. I have used a Ridgid for years, but I wanted one that could also be used as a pump for removing water from my basement when it floods. The one I got is 16 Gal/5.75 hp. You can attach a garden hose to it and pump the water out as you suck it up. You can also use vacuum bags with it, which helps keep the filter from getting clogged. So far I have only used it for cleaning up in the garage, but I am very pleased with it. It's amazing how much quieter it is than that old Ridgid.

Good luck with your choice.

Bill

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
My little shop has a lot of orange in it, so I would vote for the Ridgid shop vac. I have had real good service from the Ridgid line of tools. However my Shop Vac is a Shop Vac brand.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I really like the Ridgid, I have the big model, "6.5HP"/ 16 gallon. The one where the motor can also serve as a blower. The only thing I don't like is the lack of bags. Bags really help keep the dust from accumulating on the filter. I tied a panty hose around the filter, that helps a little but not as much as a bag would. That's a feature that would rank high on my list, if I ever buy a new vac.

Last edited:

Don Sorensen

New User
Butch
I've got the Ridgid 2in1 blower/vac 16 gallon. It's a wet/dry vaccuum and you can peal off the motor to use it as a blower, for those time when you just want the dust up off the floor, and in the air where it belongs.

Aye, it's a noisy beast, though. But I bought it the same weekend I bought my house 1-1/2 years ago, and I've already used all of the functions and attachments.

cskipper

Cathy
LOML has the large Rigid one he used for a vacuum system in the shop. I have a smaller one. Except for being noisy, they work great.

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
If low noise level, great suction, bags available for dust filtration, high quality, and automatic power tool on/off are the main considerations then look no further than a Fein. (notice I didn't include cost!) My last vac was a Genie which sounded like an F-15 with afterburners at takeoff. I had to use hearing protection to clean the shop. Now I do not. I have also used it a number of times with the ROS, works great.

M

McRabbet

I have a 16 Gallon Shop Vac that is quieter than either the old Sears model I have (and now never use because it performs poorly and is close to 100 dB) or the small 5 Gallon Shop Vac I have (also very loud). The 16 Gallon model runs about 85 dB (I still wear ear protection) and has good suction. I have two 8-foot lengths of 2-1/2" hose with a ClearVue Mini CV06 cyclone plugged in the middle. When I use my ROS, I attach a 10' long 1-1/2" hose from P-C to my PC343 sander for direct suction of the sanding dust. It works well.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
I have the 16gal/6.5HP Ridgid and think very highly of it. The muffler does make a little difference in loudness. I use it in conjunction with a clearvue mini. I bought the orange version as opposed to the stainless version, because I couldn't see much difference except a couple of accessories.

Nativespec

New User
David
I have the Fein (large one) as well and I would never go back to a noisy vac. Considering the time spent using it, the quite time is well worth it.

David

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I'm with David, stay away from noisy vacs. I have a shop vac (too large and too loud) and the Festool (too expensive for general use. I use the shop vac to clean up around the shop and the Festool for attachment to sanders.

Be sure to check on DB levels, cost of bags, and cost of filters as part of the decision process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS