Your Health or a Loved Ones Health

Guiding Hand

Michael
User
I am 75. In July of 2022 my new Doctor told me that they don’t do PSA tests for people my age anymore. I didn’t argue (my mistake). In January of 2023 I ended up in the ER then one week later had a prostate biopsy. My PSA was 65 before the biopsy and then shot to to 125. My whole adult life my PSA has been comfortably in the normal range. I was diagnosed with an advanced, aggressive cancer only 18 months after a normal PSA !

After 15 months of treatments my PSA is less than .04!

When you go to your annual doctors appointment, insist on them running the PSA test. It may save a life, yours! Ladies insist on your mammogram and other tests as well!

You have to be your own advocate! Be one for your family and friends!

May God bless you!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Michael, glad to know your numbers have improved so dramatically...also, thank you for reminding us to be our own advocate.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
BIL had low PSA, but wound up with prostrate cancer. My doc says more men die with prostrate cancer than from prostrate cancer. Despite low PSA, I still get the "one finger salute" annually. Just had my colonopsy done.

helper

helper - woodsman
User
Rule number ONE... ALWAYS argue with the physician! Rule number TWO... A physician CANNOT deny you a test based on your age (well, unless you are wanting a pap smear and you still have your "stuff.")

Having worked for the Heathcare industry for over 20-years, I hear stories like this all the time. Unfortunately, many providers get away with this type of behavior.

And finally, Rule number THREE... If ANY provider denies you something that you feel is necessary - then it is time to find a new provider!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Besides the other docs I see at 84, I see my urologist for a followup for something else once a year at which time he does a full workup including a PSA.

helper

helper - woodsman
User
Besides the other docs I see at 84, I see my urologist for a followup for something else once a year at which time he does a full workup including a PSA.
What is even more sad as we grow older that our doctor list also grows. Back in the day, we use to have one doctor unless we needed surgery (I can remember my primary care was a surgeon through)

Guiding Hand

Michael
User
I am 75. In July of 2022 my new Doctor told me that they don’t do PSA tests for people my age anymore. I didn’t argue (my mistake). In January of 2023 I ended up in the ER then one week later had a prostate biopsy. My PSA was 65 before the biopsy and then shot to to 125. My whole adult life my PSA has been comfortably in the normal range. I was diagnosed with an advanced, aggressive cancer only 18 months after a normal PSA !

After 15 months of treatments my PSA is less than .04!

When you go to your annual doctors appointment, insist on them running the PSA test. It may save a life, yours! Ladies insist on your mammogram and other tests as well!

You have to be your own advocate! Be one for your family and friends!

May God bless you!
By the way that doctor is no longer my primary care doctor!

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
My Dr. did not recommend either but I had it done anyway. 6.9 and a year later 4.08 w/ no treatment. Right direction but I will have it repeated thanks to Guiding Hand's experience.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I have had a PSA test for some where close to the last 30 years. I have always been between 4/5. My last one jumped to 10. I will start radiation treatment soon.

Not to make light of breast cancer but did you know more men die from prostate cancer than women die from breast cancer.

Guiding Hand

Michael
User
I have had a PSA test for some where close to the last 30 years. I have always been between 4/5. My last one jumped to 10. I will start radiation treatment soon.

Not to make light of breast cancer but did you know more men die from prostate cancer than women die from breast cancer.
Good luck with your radiation treatment! I had 28 radiation treatments last May and June over 5 1/2 weeks. Doctors are pleased with the results. Also am undergoing hormone treatments.

iclark

Ivan
User
Around here, we get ads for proton therapy since Hampton U has one.

I am wondering if any of your docs discussed proton therapy as an option for the radiation treatment (versus radioactive pellets, x-rays, or ...).

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS