Yay or Nay: Drill Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I could not find any mention of the Drill Doctor bit sharpener on here, so I commence to ask the most-somewhat-knowledgeable members: Have any of you used the Drill Doctor to sharpen bits? I am thinking of getting the 550 or 750 model.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Yea! I have one and it's a good little tool! :icon_thum I just need to use it more. However, with the availability of cheap drill bits, especially in the smaller sizes, at places like Costco, it might be a tossup! :wsmile:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I have one that I inherited from my father. Don't know the model #. It's a good tool to have, but I use it very infrequently. I tend to wait until I have a bunch of bits to sharpen, then do them all at the same time.

Bill

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have one that I inherited from my father. Don't know the model #. It's a good tool to have, but I use it very infrequently. I tend to wait until I have a bunch of bits to sharpen, then do them all at the same time.

Bill

Me too - I really like mine. I have an extra one of an older model if you're interested...

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Like others, I use it when I need it which is not too often. It is a convenience thing- when I need a sharp bit it is quicker to sharpen one than hop in the car for a trip to Lowes.

If there is a store nearby, in the long run it is probably less expensive to just buy new drills as you need them, or get one of those sets where you get 5 - 10 of each size bit like the 170 piece brad point set pictured below on sale now at Woodcraft for $39- about 40 cents per bit!! (the 170 piece twist drill set lists for $99, but even at that price it comes out to less than 60 cents per bit). I suspect as I continue to go through bits I'll use my Drill Doctor more often because the quality of bits today is lacking and they don't stay sharp very long.

150939_400.jpg

Glennbear

Glenn
I agree with Alan's philosophy. I bought such a set a couple years ago and my sharpener (not drill doctor) has been unused ever since. :wsmile:

cptully

New User
Chris
I have often hand sharpened a critical drill bit late at night with my Dremel and a cut-off wheel. Not the best approach but it works in a pinch - I'm just waiting to find a good price on a Drill Dr. when I have some spare cash.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Absolute yay for me !

If you use bits on metal, at all, you will get your money back quickly. I also have the big box of bits, the specials on small bits, etc., and when I took one of those bits out of the package, and sharpened it, it was much sharper, and cut cleaner than one of the ones out of the box taht weren't sharpened. If you care about claen holes with no tear out, buy the Drill Doctor.

Good Luck,

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I've always wanted one. I haven't bought one as there is one at my disposal at work. I will attest that they work well.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have the old 750, including chuck for left hand bits. When I bought it, I sharpened bits for several days. My son a mechanic had several cans full of dull bits, and I had similar. I even went to a pawn shop and bought a bunch of bits in sizes I didn't already have. I also have the old Sears attachment that uses the side of the wheel to sharpen bits. I mainly use it for bits larger than 1/2". I can also "freehand" sharpen some of my larger bits. Once you figure out the motion, there is nothing to it. A lot of "cheap" grinders have a notch in the rest to guide you in getting started. The Drill Doctor does what it is advertised to do, once you learn how to use it. Darex, who makes the Drill Doctor, also makes industrial bit sharpeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS