Yarn e-Spinner

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Background
My wife does a lot of fiber art - weaving, knitting, dyeing, etc. She has a functional antique spinning wheel, the typical foot powered kind. She's been mentioning wanting something more portable to take places. I was looking at some and saw that Ashford makes an e-spinner. I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price tag ($850). My wife laughed and said that yup, most everything in fiber arts is absurdly expensive.

But sure enough, someone on YouTube made their own version and posted a video on it. I mostly followed her directions with a few modifications.

Supplies
  • Ashford Standard Single Drive Flyer - Etsy - $65+shipping
  • Ashford Standard Flyer Bearings - $7.50+shipping Woolery
  • XD-3420 motor - $20 Amazon
  • Motor Speed Controller - $20 Amazon
  • 5A power supply - $12 Amazon
  • Hardware - Hinges, Cabinet Latch, Hooks - Lowe's
  • Hair tie
  • Fishing Line
  • Pen Spring
Build
I had some spalted hackberry I picked up ages ago from West Penn's shorts section that I thought might look good. No fancy joinery, just butt joints and pocket screws to join the bottom with the sides. I did reinforce the joints on the drive side with some dowels. The motor is exactly 2" in diameter, so I used a 2" forstner bit to make a hole, cut it in half, and used that to make a motor mount. The mount is just glued to the bottom and uses a hose clamp to attach the motor to the mount. I 3d printed a pulley using PETG to go on the motor. It's just a friction fit on the axel. A hair tie is used as the drive belt. Chiseled out a place for the C/CW switch and drilled a hole for the potentiometer that controls the speed. Used wipe-on poly as a finish. I turned a knob for the bobbin tensioner out of some scrap cherry burl. For the tension string, I used some fishing line, and a spare spring from a pen kit. The knob is a friction fit into a hole.
EDIT: I'm scrapping the pen spring. Not "springy" enough. She has some spare springs from a spinning wheel tune-up kit I'll use.

IMG_3687.jpegIMG_3688.jpegIMG_3689.jpeg

Inside view of the motor
IMG_3690.jpeg

Side closeups
IMG_3691.jpegIMG_3692.jpeg
Back Hinges
IMG_3693.jpeg

All-in-all, I'm pretty pleased with it, and my wife is excited to try it out. Was about $130 in materials, over half of that was the flyer/bobbin.

Last edited:

Vstrom

Don
Corporate Member
The good thing about wives with expensive hobbies, is that they can't say much when we bring home new tools. My wife is also big in the fiber arts; knitting, spinning, weaving, etc. She has recently tasked me with building her a warping loom. These things sell for $500+ and are made from parts that most of us have laying around the shop.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
My wife is among other things a quilter. Anyone have plans for a long arm machine? LoL!

Looks like a great build and hopefully a happy wife.

Would you consider making some dimensioned sketches and compiling those into a post in the Resources forum, please?

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
The good thing about wives with expensive hobbies, is that they can't say much when we bring home new tools. My wife is also big in the fiber arts; knitting, spinning, weaving, etc. She has recently tasked me with building her a warping loom. These things sell for $500+ and are made from parts that most of us have laying around the shop.
Seems like fiber artists and woodworkers are pretty good matches 😊 I'm lucky that some of her big ticket items (e.g. a floor loom) her parents paid for while she was in college - BA in art with concentration in fiber art. I've made several other things for her in the past with scraps from the shop.

Would you consider making some dimensioned sketches and compiling those into a post in the Resources forum, please?
I'll try and sketch something up and post it. Measurements were on-the-fly, and adjusting for the size of the flyer for a good fit. I'll just note on there to adjust dimensions as needed.

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
Background
My wife does a lot of fiber art - weaving, knitting, dyeing, etc. She has a functional antique spinning wheel, the typical foot powered kind. She's been mentioning wanting something more portable to take places. I was looking at some and saw that Ashford makes an e-spinner. I about fell out of my chair when I saw the price tag ($850). My wife laughed and said that yup, most everything in fiber arts is absurdly expensive.

But sure enough, someone on YouTube made their own version and posted a video on it. I mostly followed her directions with a few modifications.

Supplies
  • Ashford Standard Single Drive Flyer - Etsy - $65+shipping
  • Ashford Standard Flyer Bearings - $7.50+shipping Woolery
  • XD-3420 motor - $20 Amazon
  • Motor Speed Controller - $20 Amazon
  • 5A power supply - $12 Amazon
  • Hardware - Hinges, Cabinet Latch, Hooks - Lowe's
  • Hair tie
  • Fishing Line
  • Pen Spring
Build
I had some spalted hackberry I picked up ages ago from West Penn's shorts section that I thought might look good. No fancy joinery, just butt joints and pocket screws to join the bottom with the sides. I did reinforce the joints on the drive side with some dowels. The motor is exactly 2" in diameter, so I used a 2" forstner bit to make a hole, cut it in half, and used that to make a motor mount. The mount is just glued to the bottom and uses a hose clamp to attach the motor to the mount. I 3d printed a pulley using PETG to go on the motor. It's just a friction fit on the axel. A hair tie is used as the drive belt. Chiseled out a place for the C/CW switch and drilled a hole for the potentiometer that controls the speed. Used wipe-on poly as a finish. I turned a knob for the bobbin tensioner out of some scrap cherry burl. For the tension string, I used some fishing line, and a spare spring from a pen kit. The knob is a friction fit into a hole.

View attachment 222251View attachment 222252View attachment 222253

Inside view of the motor
View attachment 222254

Side closeups
View attachment 222255View attachment 222256
Back Hinges
View attachment 222257

All-in-all, I'm pretty pleased with it, and my wife is excited to try it out. Was about $130 in materials, over half of that was the flyer/bobbin.
How many hours, start to finish, including planning and design?

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
Seems like fiber artists and woodworkers are pretty good matches 😊

True. My wife is a fiber artist. She spins, weaves, knits, crochets, makes bobbin lace, and can tat as well.

We've built a nice small business around this, making tools and accessories. I'm taking a coffee break right now, from making weaving shuttles. I also turn drop and supported spindles, and notepinnes. I make spinning supports, small parts, niddy noddies, etc on our CNC, while Sue mans the laser.

We've got a big show in Rhinebeck NY in a couple of weeks. We're also looking at a big show in Estes Park, CO and Santa Fe, NM for next year.

We celebrated 29 years of marriage this week. So, yeah, you could say it's a good match.

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
$850 is really nothing. I am a HUGE fan of the e-spinners that come out of Kevin Hansen's shop. Of all the e-spinners out there, I think he makes the best. The design is nearly flawless, both in terms of aesthetic, and efficiency.

Yes, we have one in the "collection".

In case you're wondering, the HansenCrafts miniSpinner costs up to $2200 +. He often has a waiting list.

Kevin is the main reason I don't make e-spinners. I don't think I could make one as good without actually copying what he does. When I can figure it out, then maybe I will.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
How many hours, start to finish, including planning and design?

Probably 10-15 hours? Total guess. I'm a sporadic worker - easily distracted. Probably would've gone a lot faster with a concrete plan rather than winging it. I did the frame last weekend, and applied the finish over a few days. Turned the tension knob last night as the final step. I'm also doing another project in tandem for her, though not as much woodworking in that one (a Circular Sock Knitting machine, 3D printed parts).

We've built a nice small business around this, making tools and accessories.
Website or shop link to share? I'm sure she'll want to take a look.

We celebrated 29 years of marriage this week. So, yeah, you could say it's a good match.
Congrats! We hit 18 years last month.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Wife tried it out and got some feedback. Overall worked great, but I'm scrapping the pen spring. She has some extras in a spinning wheel tune-up kit that I'm going to use instead. Super simple change. She also wants another knob on the orifice side to wrap the unfinished end around when she takes a break. Her normal spinning wheel she wraps it around the tension knob, which on that is closer to the orifice. I'll turn another knob for that.

Chaz

Chaz
Senior User
Probably 10-15 hours? Total guess. I'm a sporadic worker - easily distracted. Probably would've gone a lot faster with a concrete plan rather than winging it. I did the frame last weekend, and applied the finish over a few days. Turned the tension knob last night as the final step. I'm also doing another project in tandem for her, though not as much woodworking in that one (a Circular Sock Knitting machine, 3D printed parts).
Well, if your time is worth anything you're getting really close to $850.

The name, Ashford, is worth at least a couple hundred.

Website or shop link to share? I'm sure she'll want to take a look.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS