WW Mags and Subscription Sites

Which Mags and Websites do you subscribe to?

• Fine Woodworking

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Popular Woodworking

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • Shop Notes

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Woodsmith

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Wood

Votes: 24 66.7%
  • Woodworker's Journal

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • FineWoodworking.com

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • PopularWoodworking.com

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpw

New User
Charles
Being on the cusp of having a working shop again, my mind is also turning toward WW books and mags and online resources. In terms of subscription sites, I am only aware of Fine Woodworking and Popular Woodworking. So questions I have:

1) What are your favorite magazines? Favorite subscription sites? And briefly why.

2) Is anyone using a subscription site alone (not getting print version)?

Thanks

bigcat4t9r

New User
Randy
I have the FWW.com subscription and use it mainly for the archived articles which are easily searchable and I can download them into a pdf for retaining. Probably could cancel next year as I've nearly downloaded and/or printed the entire site.

I have paper subscriptions to: Popular WW, WW Journal, Wood and ShopNotes. PWW is by far my favorite. I'll probably keep Wood and let the rest expire.

No experience with subscription discount sites.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Charles, over the years I have subscribed to numerous ww magazines. Today I subscribe to 4, but could probably drop one or two and not even miss them. I've also got most of the mag web sites bookmarked, and occasionally go to them. But to be honest, the absolute best web site I use for ww knowledge is this one: NCWW. :icon_thum Since I joined this site in March, 2010, I don't think I've even been to any of the others. I use the magazines mainly for ideas about "how" to do a particular operation, or shop organization. I tend not to trust their tool test and recommendations: I think they have become too tied to their advertisers. Just my opinion.

In addition to magazines, I also have a fairly nice collection of ww books I've built up over my 40 years in this hobby. I use them as references when I'm trying to do something new.

HTH, Bill

ehpoole

Ethan
I'll suggest another magazine, American Woodworker, which I really enjoy. American Woodworker and Fine Woodworking are the only two magazines I actually subscribe to. There are others I occassionally pickup off the newstands from time to time (Popular Woodworking, Shopnotes, Wood, Woodcraft, etc.), but those are the only two that have been must-haves for myself...YMMV .... Enjoy! :icon_thum

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I have subscribed to "WOOD" since its inception.
I'm missing a few issues over the years but such is life.
Wood is an all purpose publication and they seem to try to give something to everyone in most issues. I appreciate their tool comparisons.
I have gotten other magazines over the years but when I found I had literally months of most of them I never opened, I dropped to the one I always looked forward to.

smitty62

New User
Dick
I would NOT reccomend American Woodworker--it's a mere shadow of the fine magazine it used to be......:wsad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS