wtb quilted mahogany lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahogany

New User
mikek
looking to buy quilted mahogany lumber, at least 7 1/2 in wide x 19 in length, consider all species but prefer south american

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not sure what you mean by quilted - probably my ignorance. Do you have an example picture of what you're looking for.

mahogany

New User
mikek
thanks all members. probably did not post this in right place? quilted mahogany is difficult to find. always looking.

mahogany

New User
mikek
THE TREE, WOW, if i could go back to the 90,s id have a stack, just to look at. Its that wood that quilted mahogany is my favorite wood, plus sound qualities....

wghatcher

Greg
Senior User
I also wish I could use the way back machine to buy up some mahogany from The Tree. I actually have a small Ukulele set from the tree. Wish I could afford a larger set, but the price has really jumped up - as noted in some of the articles above.

NightOwl

New User
Britt
This was a set from the tree that was listed on a luthiers forum a few months ago , and he said this - "I've been asking and getting $5000. I've sold 3 sets in two days."

the tree back.jpeg

and he had this set at 3500, didnt take long to mark it sold
the tree 2 .jpeg

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I've been reading this thread and am just amazed. For the pieces being sold to luthiers I wonder how many of these sets actually end up in an instrument and how many go up for sale when the owner dies and the shop is cleared. I know I've got a small piece or two that are waiting for when my skill increases and the right project. At the rate I'm going it is going to be awhile before that happens. The wood is beyond amazing, but how much does a guitar made with this stuff cost? Also, how stable is a piece with grain like that? I would also worry about the strength and guess that they would be used as back plates rather that fronts.

mahogany

New User
mikek
THE TREE wood is amazing, little out of my price range, if i bought some to make guitar , i wouldnt sell it, i did however for 130 bf of 2A Quilted mah, should have couple of weeks, try an post some pixs when it gets here, an one guitar i built from quilt mah bought of furniture maker in erie pa, think he has lot more, but lost his contact info....

mahogany

New User
mikek
just received 40-50 board foot( 6 boards total) of 2A-3A from maksman woods in new jersey, long story, but looks real nice and good price. Will make some beautiful guitar bodies. Think il center seam couple boards or resaw into 1/2, 1/4 inch tops???how do post pics to this thread? il try get some pics up

Obxwoody

New User
Andy
just received 40-50 board foot( 6 boards total) of 2A-3A from maksman woods in new jersey, long story, but looks real nice and good price. Will make some beautiful guitar bodies. Think il center seam couple boards or resaw into 1/2, 1/4 inch tops???how do post pics to this thread? il try get some pics up

Silly question but might I ask how much shipping was? (Or maybe as a percentage of the wood price too, to still be do able...) I guess if you aren't selling them, almost any price is do able lol...

i was considering ordering some wood and having it shipped, but haven't even checked into that...I have a mental block that it will add too much cost...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS