WTB :Powermatic 20" planer

Mountain City Bill

Mountain City Bill
Corporate Member
I'm looking for a used Powermatic 20" planer. Helix or straight knife. Single phase. Model 209 for example. I'm located in Mountain City, TN (near Boone, NC).

I've been checking FB Marketplace and Craig's List near me as well.

Thanks.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
There several national industrial used dealers. I think one in Charlotte.

I kind of doubt one would be much cheaper than new as that is the current model. They are $6300 delivered new. The Shop Fox is the same machine but the cutter head may have fewer cutters. It is "only" $5500. Grizzly at $4500, but again, the cutter head is where they skimp the most. The Jet is in there somewhere. All are the same machine out of the same factory, just each brand specified fit and finish and the cutter head, things like how fine the threads on adjustment screws are, bushing finish quality bearings etc. When I was looking at 13's, it was clear to me why I wanted the PowerMatic.

Might look at what machines Shelix and Lux make heads for and find an older strait knife and convert. Oliver, Baleigh, General? Also, consider an older 3 phase and using a converter box.

I have to believe past the number of cutters, current prices are based on high demand as I can't see why a planer is so much more expensive than similar complication tools. They priced me out of the 15's so I am stuck with my 735 with Shelix.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS