WTB or Trade for Blacksmith Anvil

Flute Maker

Mike
User
I have a grandson who has a sincere interest in blacksmithing..He has some tools, a forge and a small anvil but could use a better one. He has a friend that is pretty good .My grandson wants to make knives etc. If you have anything let me know. Just looking right now...hoping to maybe find one!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Be prepared to pay big $$ for a larger anvil. Martha Stewart dried up the anvil supply some years ago by suggesting everyone put one in their garden. Most of the ones I see that are <100# are well worn and not flat enough to do knife work on. Good luck, nonetheless. There is a guy on Craigslist near Jefferson, SC that sells and trades anvils if you want to contact him.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Ive noticed the high price tag on good old large ones. Maybe Ill run up on something ! Thanks Dennis!!

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A new good one made in Germany (77 lbs, $765) The Blacksmiths Depot is in Candler, NC and they have a lot of blacksmithing tools and accessories.

Here's another one that's cheaper.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A word of caution about English anvils. Most of them are marked in hundredweight numbers. The first number would be the number of hundredweights (112#), the second number is the number of quarter hundredweights (28#) and the third number is the final number of pounds. i.e. 1-3-5 would be 112 + 84 + 5 = 201 lbs. Clear as mud? Good brands to look for in older ones are Armstrong and Hay - Budden. Others may know of good names as well.

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Wow !!!!!!!! Guys thanks for all the information etc. I wqill have to put some $ back for this anvil. But once I get the extra I wlll know where to go for the best deal.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I've been keeping my eyes open for one too. Given the rise in anvil prices over the last 10+ years (not all due to Martha Stewart) I would have thought the imports would have stepped in the fill the void, but the pickings seem slim for entry-level steel anvils.

This one - available from a number of places - seems to get decent reviews, but reviews seem to point to the QA (especially the hardening) being spotty, so you probably want to inspect before buying. Or role the dice on getting a garden ornament.

-Mark

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Im just going to sort of hold tight/wait and see what sort of comes up right now.I definitely know more now than I did from what you guys have shown and shared with me.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Im just going to sort of hold tight/wait and see what sort of comes up right now.I definitely know more now than I did from what you guys have shown and shared with me.

Does your grandson know what kind of anvil is needed for knife making? I don't. But there are two kinds of anvils available: a blacksmithing anvil and a farrier anvil (horseshoes, etc). I don't know if the latter would also be good for making knives.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Saw a YouTube video on the HF anvil. It was not impressive. The author was able to put dings in the surface of the anvil with his hammer. Hard to get a smooth face on a knife like that......

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Saw a YouTube video on the HF anvil. It was not impressive. The author was able to put dings in the surface of the anvil with his hammer. Hard to get a smooth face on a knife like that......
Yeah the quality control isnt good on some of them or maybe just plain cheap!

Rick Mainhart

Rick
Corporate Member
Good morning Mike,
You might want to check out the Essential Craftsman ...

He does a lot of things, blacksmithing is but one, and he has a lot of information on tools of the trade.

He also launches anvils on occasion!

Hope this helps.

Rick

Flute Maker

Mike
User
Good morning Mike,
You might want to check out the Essential Craftsman ...

He does a lot of things, blacksmithing is but one, and he has a lot of information on tools of the trade.

He also launches anvils on occasion!

Hope this helps.

Rick
Ill check him out thanks!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS