Wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluchz

bluchz
User
I was recently told, when returning a 1/2" drive breaker bar, that kobalt is no longer the Lowes sponsor and that Craftsman will be the new tool line for Lowes. NOt sure but i have seen lots of Craftsman tools at Lowes lately.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
My first socket set was S-K. Still have most of them. Had an uncle that sold MAC and I bought a good many tools from him that he took in on trades. But most of my older tools are "kenmore" A.K.A. Craftsman. The convenience of having a nearby source outweighed the other considerations for me, but that being said, if I were in a situation where I couldn't get it replaced right away, and I needed it to NOT BREAK, I'd go with Snap On. It's one thing to offer a lifetime warranty on a tool, but even at that, you don't want it to break when Murphy's Law is in full force.
BTW, as I got older, I gravitated towards sockets that were laser etched with the BIG numbers. Too many times the Craftsmans I have are hard to read and my eyeballs aren't as calibrated as they used to be, especially with metric and English sizes being mixed on most cars nowadays.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Probably not the best tools you can buy but for around the house both Kobalt and Husky have 100% replacement guarentee

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Metrinch. Not cheap, getting harder to find, but only one set of wrenches and sockets needed to fit any standard of measurement. Grips the flats of nuts & bolts, not the corners. Haven't had many situations that were so tight there was no room for the slight movement needed to grip: more of an issue with wrenches than sockets. I use them with my impact driver all the time, as the standard sockets that I have are impact rated. In 20+ years of ownership, have never had one round anything off, never had one fail. In many cases these will grip rounded nuts & bolts.

Last edited:

JimD

Jim
Senior User
HF sockets are poorly labeled. So I got some stick on labels that work OK. Big black numbers on white background. The wrenches labels are OK but would wear off with frequent use. Definitely a downside of this inexpensive choice.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Metrinch. Not cheap, getting harder to find, but only one set of wrenches and sockets needed to fit any standard of measurement. Grips the flats of nuts & bolts, not the corners. Haven't had many situations that were so tight there was no room for the slight movement needed to grip: more of an issue with wrenches than sockets. I use them with my impact driver all the time, as the standard sockets that I have are impact rated. In 20+ years of ownership, have never had one round anything off, never had one fail. In many cases these will grip rounded nuts & bolts.

I think I am going to see where I can get some of these sockets. They look good.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
The Craftsman brand name was sold to Stanley Black and Decker in January 2017. Stanley Black and Decker is one of several suppliers of Husky tools. Kobalt tools are currently made by J S Products. Stanley Black and Decker also owns DeWalt, Porter Cable, Lennox, Mac and Bostitch brand names.

Maybe soon Kobalt and Husky will be just different names on the same tools!

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
The Craftsman brand name was sold to Stanley Black and Decker in January 2017. Stanley Black and Decker is one of several suppliers of Husky tools. Kobalt tools are currently made by J S Products. Stanley Black and Decker also owns DeWalt, Porter Cable, Lennox, Mac and Bostitch brand names.

Maybe soon Kobalt and Husky will be just different names on the same tools!

When I was a little kid we lived in Atlanta. Sears had a distribution center in a multi storied building. There was a store on the lower floor. Everything was priced, but the stuff on display was not for sale. You picked out what you wanted and the clerk called the order upstairs and down it came. You could buy anything. From a shirt, shoes, power tools, auto tires even a bunch of ducks. There was a Sears catalog in almost every home. Us kids waited with bated breath for the Christmas catalog. Many many years before the internet they invented mail order shopping. Heck! to sell radios out in the mid west they built a radio station WLS Chicago (stood for worlds largest store). What went wrong? How do you let an empire like that disappear? I've never understood !

Pop
:dontknow:

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sears isn't going away quietly, as I understand they are teaming with Amazon (deja vu to their roots?) to sell their appliance line. I too remember the old Sears catalogs and there was many an outhouse in the south populated with their outdated catalogs...........
Nevertheless, they did announce they are closing another 160 stores including one in Wilmington and Charleston. Sad to see them go but that era of retail has outlived its profitability.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I go out of my way to buy US made when possible. I bought a set of Blackhawk sockets and ratchets, US made with foreign materials, excellent quality, 10x nicer to use than my old Craftsman stuff. Proto and SK are still mostly US. And there are other lesser known US brands. If you want cheap, buy HF. They are top of the line for Chinese mechanic tools these days. Really, they have stepped up their game.

nn4jw

New User
Jim

I ordered a set of 14 Metrinch sockets and they came today. The idea of having a set of sockets that could fit both SAE and Metric was pretty interesting. The first thing I noticed after unpacking them was how thin the socket walls are. Much thinner than any of my other sockets. Guess I'll add these to my up-in-the-house tools where I'm not as likely to encounter needing to use a breaker bar or impact driver. They may be just fine, but I don't want to test just how strong they are under extreme conditions.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Don't forget Agrisupply's in house brand of hand tools. King Tony is the name if I remember correctly. In each vehicle with aluminum wheels, I added a HF torque wench, and correct size socket from Agrisupply to tighten lug nuts. To loosen them, I use same socket on a HF 25.5" breaker bar. Easy Peasy!

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
What I really need to do is go on a hunt for all of my missing wrenches and sockets.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
The first thing I noticed after unpacking them was how thin the socket walls are. Much thinner than any of my other sockets. Guess I'll add these to my up-in-the-house tools where I'm not as likely to encounter needing to use a breaker bar or impact driver. They may be just fine, but I don't want to test just how strong they are under extreme conditions.

They are designed to be thinwall sockets. They also carry a lifetime guarantee against breakage.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
What do you need / what are you missing?
I won't know until I do my search! For one, I bought a new 9/16" open-end wrench, but I needed an 11/16". By chance, I happened to go through my Home Depot purchase history and saw where I already purchased an 11/16" wrench. The challenge now is to find it. It fits the collet on my Dewalt D26670 router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors