Wrapping Basement Lally Columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Anyone have experience wrapping support posts (I think they are called Lally Columns??). We've had our basement bar finished for a while now but never settled on a plan for how to wrap the columns. I was thinking of trying to make a square board with a hole cut in the middle to fit around the pole and then a screw on each end to act as a clamp - maybe 4 of these attached to the post from bottom to top. This would give me the flat surface to mount a long 'box' and hold everything square. Is there a better way to mount a cover over these support poles? I have three that I need to cover that are between the bar and the pool table.

Basement_-_with_corner_sink_labels.jpg

Bar_lights_2.jpg

Here is picture of what I'd like to build
Basement_-_column_wrap.jpg

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Bill -

Can you share any details on what you use to provide the structure or support to attach the wraps? What are you applying the adhesive to? Any pics of the inside would be great.

Thanks,
Rick

Wyatt Co.

New User
Bill
Initial support is a 6x6. After that, everything else is considered a substrate. I used 2x4's since there was an abundance of them laying around (took over project from previous contractor). To obtain the desired deminsions, one can use 2x4's, 2x6's, OSB, plywood, whatever. It's just a "build up" to the size you desire. On this column, I'm using poplar 1x6's ripped to desired widths. I'm using shelving board to create the raised panels.

On adhesive only projects I use Loctite PL Premium.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I've done this... Created two L's and glued them together around the pole. Leave a little room at the top.
Lift the column and spray in some expandable foam into your box at the bottom. Lower the box and spray some foam at the top. Put a piece of trim at the top and voila. It'll never move.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
The basement in our old house when we bought it had two columns that were wrapped with rope that have been glued to it. I did something similar to Bas, I made 2 L-shaped boxes and then simply put contractors glue on the rope where it made contact, then surrounded it with the boxes, clamped and screwed it together, trimmed for some character, problem solved.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Bas always comes up with the most straight forward ideas. Using his foam idea, you wouldn't have to worry about centering, just shove the whole thing against the column. Self-aligning!
BTW, there's a youtube where the guy drills a hole into the column. Ignore that guy!

Ralrick

New User
Rick
thanks for the ideas guys. I was worried the columns might twist if i didn't have something tightly bonded to the pole. I never thought about using just foam and was always thinking I had to find a way to frame them out like Bill was showing.

Joe - I also saw a video with a guy using the ramset 22 anchors - I didn't know they would go through the steel pole.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Worst thing for lally poles is rust...from the inside out. Basements are always a little damp. And considering the loads they carry, holes big or small will allow moisture to collect inside as well as weaken. Holes in the columns are allowed per PE and must be specified on the STAMPED plan. Sorry, I never bothered to research the code on that, so I can't give specifics.
Held at exactly 90 deg, a Ramset nail can penetrate fairly thick mild steel.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
The fire code says they are supposed to be concrete filled, not just pipe, and there are to be inspection holes in the side about mid length so the inspector can verify that they are indeed concrete filled. If not, a basement fire can collapse the building quickly.With the concrete filling there is little space or air flow for inside rusting.

Charley

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Since I've now retired from the fire service I haven't kept up with the latest code changes, so I don't know if they would allow the foam, which is more intended for sealing oversize holes where plumbing and wires pass through, but I certainly would not want a premature collapse of my home from an improperly installed support. Concrete filled pipe columns are readily available and not very expensive. They can be cut with a pipe cutter and then the concrete broken at the cut easily with a large hammer strike to the pipe in the vicinity of the cut, so it can be done on the job site during installation.

Charley

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Looking back on remodeling of our basement, I really wish I would have investigated the possibility of replacing the support columns by installing a steel beam. I'm not sure what the cost would have been and the size of the beam (that would require a lower ceiling) but I really wish I would have called an architect or engineer to investigate it previously. Live and learn.

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Looking back on remodeling of our basement, I really wish I would have investigated the possibility of replacing the support columns by installing a steel beam. I'm not sure what the cost would have been and the size of the beam (that would require a lower ceiling) but I really wish I would have called an architect or engineer to investigate it previously. Live and learn.

If you could only see my list of "I should haves" developed over the past 15 years of living in our house......:eusa_doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS