Worth the effort???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
The bottoms of the large shutters on my house have quite a bit of rot from water bouncing up from the patio. The shutters are over 8 feet tall and the bottom 30 inches are raised panel. They are made of 1 1/2" redwood and have been in place over 20 year. Most of the louvers are in decent shape so only the panels, styles and bottom rails need re-making and then marrying them to the existing louver sections. rebuild or not??? Your thoughts???
IMGP0275.JPG

View image in gallery

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Probably better to rebuild than buy new, you won't get that quality unless you do it yourself or pay through the nose.

Looks like a simple task if you half lap the stiles 8 - 10 inches.

Could you do something to keep the water from standing in the bottom groove?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Dino, I've got about 8-12 to replace also. The last time I made them from pine stair tread and got 15 years and many still look good. This time I'm going to try cypress (recently developed an allergy to cedar). I find it much easier (and cleaner) to just make 'em new, but then mine are 3 panel (no louvers). And if my originals had louvers....the replacements would be....3 panels! I think it's worth the effort as Lowe's want over $500.00/pair (18 X 68).

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I wood hazard a guesstimate that the amount of effort to repair em is close to 90% or better to make new ones. You have issues at the center rail also.
Yes the louvers are gonna be tuff, that said how many shutters? Heck maybe Like Joe, just make em all raised panel and be done.
Hood Distribtors had some sweeeeeeeeet clear kd syp 2x material few months back.
Tis a tuff call that said if n u go new with rp there are a few of us that have shapers and can run the material. :wsmile::gar-Bi:gar-Bi

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Look up Rex Kumber Co. They distribute thermally modified wood which won't rot. Last summer at IWF, I saw canal liner boards from Holland that had been submersed for 13 years and showed no signs of rot. It doesn't absorb water either. Paint was still on the boards.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I am in agreement with pretty much all of the above. I would like to go with all panels but they would not match all the second floor shutters. I dug out some redwood and started the repairs. I'll post results when they get done???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS