Workshop for hand planes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
A number of our members went to Bill Clemmon's excellent shop last Saturday . Bill and Mike Davis helped us better appreciate this important tool. Even for a machine based woodworker of modest skills, like me, a well tuned plane is a joy to use.
We each had brought several planes to work on. Most of these were flea market bargains. Mike gave each of us a flow chart to help identify and date old Stanley planes. Mike went through each one and found that one of them was well over 100 years old. Then he examined each of our planes to find out what kind of work it might need. Some needed a part or two. One turned out to be a genuine Franken-plane.
Once we knew what was needed, we went to work. We lapped a few soles,chip breakers and cap irons. We sharpened the blades. Some needed re-grinding to get the edge square or to correct the bevel angle. It was a treat for me to watch Mike's skill at grinding a blade freehand. For the final entertainment, we prodded Mike into flattening a rough board. The sweat was flying!
I had a great time spending the day with other sawdust-heads. Now that my planes work like they were supposed to, I'll certainly use them more.
Thanks again to Bill and Mike for a fun and informative day.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I was ready to go to the NOV12 class, but I got sidelined by illness. :eusa_doh:

Did Mike mention the coarsest grain he would go down to, when working on really bad plane sole?

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Don't know what Mike suggests, I start badly rusted planes at 80 grit. that may be to coarse. If you have to hog a lot of metal, I find that a file is good for heavy controlled metal removal.

so sorry I missed it I have been looking forward to it for was 2 months now.... but I laid under the car all day wrangling the transmission

glad everyone had a good time

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Tom,

Did you have flu like symtoms with body aches and severe pain but no gastric nor sinus related symtoms? I have been sick for a week and almost called off the workshop except for taking a vacation day Friday and feeling much better today. Still very painful but most of the weakness and drained feeling is gone.

As to the grit for cleaning planes, I use no more than is required. If lightly rusted or no rust but need to check for flatness I will start with 400 and make a couple light passes on a flat surface. If all looks good I stop there.

If the plane sole shows signs of wear around the mouth or areas that need to be lapped flat then again use only as much aggressiveness as needed to get the job done efficiently. In the worst case I would use 80 grit on a belt sander. Then sanding by hand just to remove the previous scratch marks progress through the various grits up to 600 or so followed by a good coat of paste wax.

We did a strong camber on a #6 blade today and had it making thick ribbons of poplar. Took a board down to fairly flat in a just few minutes.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Looking forward to a full report on your activities today Mike.

Got to get out to one of your classes one of these days.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Any time Mark, but it's not a class. I lead workshops, I usually learn as much as the other people there. We all muddle through and have a great time working together.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Mike, my malady started Tuesday night with a sweaty forehead, but freezing feet.

Wednesday, I went to work nursing a headache, just feeling tired. Wednesday night, I'd feel feverish at times, but as soon as I stood up, I was shivering.

Thursday was battling the headache, occasionally feeling feverish.

Friday, just trying to get rest from 3 nights of not sleeping well.

Through all of this, I had no nausea, congestion or coughing. Just a loss of appetite, which I am still not over.

Thanks for the pointers on the grits. I have not gotten around to working on the plane I scored off fleabay, but I have two with soles that 400 grit makes no progress with.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks Tom,

I know at least 4 people with similar ills.

Do you have a benchtop belt sander? Like 4x36 or 6x48? If not you are welcome to use mine.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Portable hand belt sanders do not have a flat enough platen to flatten the bottom of a hand plane of any size. I guess it would work on a small block plane.

You may end up with bigger problems if you go that route.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I will toil along with 80 grit on the lapping plate, then work my way up....

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I've posted pics from yesterday's workshop in this thread. Tom, there is a pic of the belt sander being used to flatten a sole. The belt is 80 grit, but by this time it was getting pretty worn down. It was also used to put a primary bevel on some blades.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors