Workshop electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
So I finally managed to get HOA approval for a workshop shed and am waiting on the town for the permit. I'm thinking of adding a subpanel and setting up the wiring myself. Does anyone have any tips/gotchas for electrical work in their shop?

I have a tablesaw, a bandsaw and a clearvue that will need 220v, the rest can use 110 v outlets at 20Amps. Any recommendations as to subpanel size?

Thanks!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Consider the maximum number of devices you will have on at any given time. The clearvue, tablesaw, and lights will be operating at the same time. 15A for the TS, 15A for clearvue, and 5A for lights puts you at 35A out of the gate. These are your heavy hitters. I would plan for a 60A sub panel and wiring to feed it. That fills 4 breaker slots (220 needs 2).

Don't forget to get the electrical permit. You'll need a GFCI installed.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If I had to rewire my shop, I would consider using one size larger wire than called for (i.e. if the circuit calls for 16 ga., I would use 14 ga., etc.). That way you can put in a larger breaker on the circuit if it is ever called for down the road.

Having lived in a neighborhood w/ a HOA, be prepared for noise complaints. If you're out there running equipment at night w/ the doors open, someone will complain. I would insulate the building well and install some type of HVAC system so I could work w/ the doors closed. A little extra up front, but well worth it in the long run.

Once you start building, please post lots of pics. We love a good shop build. :icon_cheers

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
What Bill said - and I wouldn't go with less than a 100Amp Subpanel. 200 would be better. The shop will grow but extra capacity at the panel is hard to retrofit. I have two 200Amp service panels in my basement - this is for the whole house, but I'm certainly glad there was room in those panels to easily add all of the circuits needed for my new basement shop.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I agree with the 100 Amp subpanel comment. To me, even more important is that you choose a subpanel that holds as many breakers as possible. 220v breakers take up two slots and the spaces run out quickly. That is how I ended up with additional subpanels. Well, I also went crazy with the number of outlets, which I don't regret at all. :)

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
It doesn't cost very much more for a 200 a panel over a 100 a panel. I remember wiring one shop I had for sharpening only. I put outlets on every stud, 24" centers, and still was short. Had to run a stiff 2x4 down from the ceiling about 24", and mount a 4 outlet box on each side, on separate circuits of course. That still meant using a couple of power strips. No matter how big the shop, and no matter how many circuits 110 and 220, I always seem to come up short.:wconfused:

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Thanks Bill. I work my main job from 4:30 AM to 2 PM, so woodworking is mostly restricted to 3PM to 7PM. I will definitely be adding insulation and sound proofing. That planer is one loud piece of machinery.

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Thanks everyone. I've learnt from experience that the more options available for expansion, the easier it is down the road. I'll be going with a 200Amp panel with 40 spaces. That should be plenty for my shop...for now.

I did pull an electrical permit. Coming from a secluded single family home in MA, going through an HOA was definitely a new experience. I'll share pictures as the shop comes together. The wife and I have just been adding to the list of projects while the shop is being built. Lots of projects and requests for advice to come through :)

BThompson

New User
Bill
I went with a 200 amp subpanel. It gives me lots of amperage and plenty of slots for breakers. I also setup designated breakers and outlets for electric heaters that i can move. I put a 220 outlet in with flexible wiring to a 220 volt in wall heater that is mounted to a frame with large plywood bottom so i can move it around shop. Point is.....you'll find that having extra is good for additions and things forgotten and to do a second time costs to much.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Agree with larger amp subpanel, larger gauge wire than required, four gang boxes (2 different circuits) every other stud placed 52" above floor( will allow for 4x8 sheet of plywood against the wall without covering receptacle. I installed 3 overhead outlets also with retractable electrical cables (very handy) plenty of 220 circuits spaced around shop (figure placement of required machinery) and dont forget outside receptacles and lights. If you have a crawl space put receptacles in the floor. Plenty of lighting and place on two different circuits. Good luck, Tim

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
60 amp is the minimum size sub panel. That is what is in my 24 X 28 shop. I have all the usual suspects (band saw, table saw, dust collector, drill press, 15" planer, jointer, RAS, plus hand power tools. In addition, I have a stick welder, mig welder, horizontal metal cutting band saw, and bench grinder. Never in 37 years have I had a problem with not having enough capacity. I earn a large part of my living in my shop, at least I used to.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
The minimum that I would recommend would be 100A, preferably 150A or 200A. Larger capacities give you more options down the road. Also, you want a larger panel that has space for plenty of breakers. That way you can easily add branch circuits as they are needed and make certain that you have enough space for additional double-pole (230V) breakers too. Large panels let you pull a separate branch circuit for higher load 115v tools. If you have someone working in the shop with you at some point, you don't want two high-demand 115v tools on the same branch circuit tripping the breaker if they are on at the same time. Wire all 115V branch circuits for 20A, #12 conductor.

Pete

So I finally managed to get HOA approval for a workshop shed and am waiting on the town for the permit. I'm thinking of adding a subpanel and setting up the wiring myself. Does anyone have any tips/gotchas for electrical work in their shop?

I have a tablesaw, a bandsaw and a clearvue that will need 220v, the rest can use 110 v outlets at 20Amps. Any recommendations as to subpanel size?

Thanks!

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
In my new workshop build, I am running a 200 amp service for the workshop. The house will have its own 400 amp. The 200 amp will let me do what I want in the workshop now and in the future. Enjoy the build, it's a lot of fun and figuring!

Red

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
The minimum that I would recommend would be 100A, preferably 150A or 200A. Larger capacities give you more options down the road. Also, you want a larger panel that has space for plenty of breakers. That way you can easily add branch circuits as they are needed and make certain that you have enough space for additional double-pole (230V) breakers too. Large panels let you pull a separate branch circuit for higher load 115v tools. If you have someone working in the shop with you at some point, you don't want two high-demand 115v tools on the same branch circuit tripping the breaker if they are on at the same time. Wire all 115V branch circuits for 20A, #12 conductor.

Pete
Pete - how is a hobbyist going to draw 100A, much less 150A or more?

I have a 20K BTU window shaker, a 5HP planer, a 2HP DC, a welder, etc, etc - and I've never blown the 60A subpanel breaker.

I do agree that the OP should install a 100A-type panel - the extra real-estate in the panel is nice. You can feed a 100A panel with a 60A circuit tho...

-Mark

BThompson

New User
Bill
Pete - how is a hobbyist going to draw 100A, much less 150A or more?

I have a 20K BTU window shaker, a 5HP planer, a 2HP DC, a welder, etc, etc - and I've never blown the 60A subpanel breaker.

I do agree that the OP should install a 100A-type panel - the extra real-estate in the panel is nice. You can feed a 100A panel with a 60A circuit tho...

-Mark

part of it is that 220 draws less current than 110. meaning needing less amperage sub-panel. I have a really small shop and have tripped a breaker a few times. I've had a few small heaters plugged in 15 a piece, dc, table saw, radio, lights, etc. starts adding up. Especially for the little heaters, at my shop, heaters make the difference. Without knowing exactly their equipment they will be using and how they plan to heat, can't say they need exactly what. But I know I would rather go more. If you think 60, go 100, because you will need more eventually. Also, I'm the only one in the shop, until the day my teenage daughter has a project, then two people are running machines. Things happen.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
200A for a workshop shed? Some of what I've read is overkill. 60A is probably all you need, but 100A will be more than enough just be absolutely sure you have the right size wire feeding it. I ran my entire 1500SF shop on a 60A feed for 20yrs with no problems at all. That included several 3HP machines a DC and a 5HP compressor.

What's important is the motor sizes which you didn't specify. Regardless, the DC needs a dedicated circuit. The rest of your 220 machines can run on 1 20A circuit with #12 wire. Separate circuits for lights, outlets. A dedicated circuit for the shop vac isn't a bad idea. Anything over 3HP needs 30A circuit and #10 wire.

Go with #12 wire w/20A outlets for your 110 circuits. I would not use 14ga wire you will regret it.

Couple other suggestions are run your circuits exposed in conduit or flex rather than romex in the walls. Yes, more expensive, but it gives you a ton of options to add, change outlets and switches. Not to mention putting up wallboard is a dream no cutting holes.

I recommend a separate 110 circuit just for a shop vac. Sometimes a shop vac + miter saw will trip breaker.

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Remember, it's not just the rating for your tools to think about, but for anything that might be running three. Do you have HVAC? Hot water? Fans, air cleaners, dust collectors?

Everyone's needs will vary, but it is time well-spent to think about your maximum simultaneous needs, and to give yourself some buffer capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

luckyGoose

New User
Yogi
Thanks Dr.Bob and everyone else.

I've decided to go with a 100A panel, that should be sufficient and have a good buffer. I like the suggestion of a separate circuit for the shop vac.

The machine breakdown:
220 V:
- 5hp Clearvue cyclone DC
- 3hp sawstop * coming soon
- 2hp Grizzly bandsaw
* Might add a lathe later, but not sure as of now
110V:
- 12" Dewalt planer
- 6" Delta Jointer
- 12" Dewalt miter saw
- Bosch Router 1617
- Festool Sander rotex
- Festool finish sander
- Makita tracksaw
- Bosch angle grinder
- Craftsman 20 gallon AC
- Fein II shop vac
- Drill press
- HF 2hp dust collector
- Air cleaner

Sheesh, no wonder the wife thinks I have too many toys. At least she's letting me buy a sawstop :)

Going by the current machine list, and assuming that the DC will almost always be running while maybe max two other machines are running, I think the setup below would work
panel: 100 Amp with 30 spaces
6 spaces reserved for 220v circuits. 30 Amp for DC, 20Amp for Tablesaw, 15 A for bandsaw
2 circuits for shop lights
1 dedicated circuit for Shop Vac
1 dedicated circuit for future split AC/heater
2 dedicated circuits for home made air cleaner and air circulator
12 110v, 20A circuits spread around the shop, with outlets every 4'
That leaves me with a buffer of 6 spaces/12 circuits for future expansion.

What'd you guys think?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Looks good. I don't know if you need that many 110 circuits, tho. How big is this shop?

Another option is to alternate outlets you can also have a 4 gang outlet with both on separate circuits (if you use 2 conductor wire). This way you can plug a shop vac in close to another machine but on a different circuit.

When they wired my shop they simply pulled multiple conductors through the conduit.

If you have 2 entrances don't forget to use 3 way switches :wink_smil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors