Worksharp 3000??

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
What do I need to get for plane/chisel sharpening? Any extras you would recommend beyond the base package? Also - where to buy?

I spent an hour flattening/honing a vintage Stanley blade on a NIB plane, made a few passes on some stock and the edge chipped. :eusa_doh: That translates to another hour unless I try to use my belt sander to hog metal. I don't have a grinder that I'd use on plane blades.

My waterstones maintain an edge very easily but I want a tailed tool to do the initial work. Worksharp 3k gets great reviews everywhere.

Chuck

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Hey Chuck,
The basic system works great on chisels and plane blades up to 2" width. Hartville Tools has the best price I know of right now, if the Woodnet 15% discount is applied. Currently they are offering a free glass plate and leather honing plate.
If your plane blades are wider than 2" you'll need the new wide blade attachment.
HTH
Ken

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
As Ken said, the WS3000 works great on chisels and plane blades. You can also sharpen turning tools with it, but it's not quite as easy as the flat stuff. It is definitely fast. I can sharpen 5 chisels in 10 minutes. Most of the time goes into swapping the discs, so batch sharpening pays off.

I used the Scary Sharp method before I got the WS3000, and the results are comparable, but in a fraction of the time. Scary Sharp actually got things slightly sharper, but that's because I went all the way up to 2000 grit. But there is no difference in sharpness once you've chopped half a mortise. If you have really badly nicked chisels (i.e. the kind you can fit an 8d nail in), either buy a lot of sandpaper or get a cheap grinder. Some things require drastic measures. But it will do everything else.

Extra glass discs are nice. I went the cheap route and made some discs out of 1/2 MDF, definitely not optimal. I use them for the very coarse grits (80 - 120) for really poor chisels or when I want to change the angle. I also think you'd get better results with more intermediate grits. Right now I have 120 - 400 - 1000 - 3600 (micromesh). I'm thinking something around 220 and 800 would be good inbetween - but you need more discs for that. I also got the leather honing kit. Nice, but hand stropping works well too. The automation doesn't do much in that area, since it's freehand anyway.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Hey Chuck,
The basic system works great on chisels and plane blades up to 2" width. Hartville Tools has the best price I know of right now, if the Woodnet 15% discount is applied. Currently they are offering a free glass plate and leather honing plate.
If your plane blades are wider than 2" you'll need the new wide blade attachment.
HTH
Ken

The woodnet discount does not count if you get the freebies (spare disc and honing kit) DAMHIKT ! But it's a good deal and if I recall correctly there is also free shipping until 1/31/09.

Good Luck !

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
The woodnet discount does not count if you get the freebies (spare disc and honing kit) DAMHIKT ! But it's a good deal and if I recall correctly there is also free shipping until 1/31/09.

Good Luck !
Oops, my bad. Sorry for the misinformation.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I don't know if I got away with something here but I just purchased the worksharp 3000 for the discounted price of $169 and I got an leather honeing wheel mounted on glass, a trisquare, and a set of hand scrapers free. Maybe they just liked me but I really can't see that being the case.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I don't know if I got away with something here but I just purchased the worksharp 3000 for the discounted price of $169 and I got an leather honeing wheel mounted on glass, a trisquare, and a set of hand scrapers free. Maybe they just liked me but I really can't see that being the case.

Any chance I could buy those from you and you can tap your source for another round? :gar-La;

Chuck

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

I got a free flush cut saw and a square also, have you checked out your square yet ? Mine was out of square by an 1/16" over 6'' when checked against my Starrett, Woodrat had the same problem. But maybe it wasn't a square:icon_scra, maybe it was a boomerang !:gar-La; I guess I'll have to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS