Worksharp 3000 questions

JMcanoe

Jim
User
I've acquired a Worksharp 3000 and have some questions for those of you familiar with this sharpening tool. It came with the wide blade platform and jig, 3 glass disks, the leather pad stropping disk, and an assortment of Klingspor paper adhesive backed sanding disks (5 each of 5 different grits from 80-1000, plus one at 3600). I'll be using it for chisels and plane irons.

1. To maximize use of the glass disks (since they are $20 each) I'm thinking of mounting a different grit on each side. Will this set me up for problems when needing to replace one grit but not the other? I'm concerned that using mineral spirits or acetone to remove glue residue on one side will possibly loosen the still good sanding disk on the other side. Anyone else had this problem? Any good tips for removal of the worn out sanding pad?

2. In looking at other threads on this forum about the Worksharp 3000 as well as other sources, I've seen positive comments about switching from the paper sanding disks to either CBN disks or diamond coated flat lap disks.
The CBN disks replace the glass disks and come in three pairs of grits, one on each side of the disk (80/180, 350/600, and 800/1200) at $80 per pair. Pros - made for this tool by a company aimed at woodworking/sharpening. Cons - Only 6 grits available and cost about twice the flat lap diamond coated disks per grit. Also some cautions about being careful to avoid glazing, especially the finer grit.
The diamond coated flat lap disks come in 10 grits from 60 to 1500 at $18 per disk from Kent Supplies. They are thin and can be attached to the Worksharp glass disks with adhesive backed magnetic vinyl - allowing for easy change of grit or replacement of a worn out diamond disk (there's a link to a youtube video in another thread on this forum). Pros - 10 grits available and switching them looks simple if you use the magnetic vinyl. About half the cost of the CBN disks. Cons - these are made for lapidary work and recommended for "wet use" - although reviews on Amazon indicate they work fine on the Worksharp. Also not sure how durable they are. Potential issues with heat buildup and the magnetic vinyl?

Any suggestions or insights would be welcome.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The sandpaper definitely wears out quickly. I've tried some economy solutions, like making some discs out of 1/2 MDF and using regular sandpaper discs made for a disc sander. It sort of works, but it's not great. You have to drill a hole, and the adhesive is far too sticky.

I would not worry about accidently unsticking one side of the disc when removing it from the other side with a solvent, I've never had one come loose.

Having the same grit on both sides is definitely nice., since you can do both the back and the edge without having to turn over the disc. That speeds things up. If you're very disciplined and put the right combination of grits on the disc you can progress through the sharpening with a minimum of rotating, but sometimes it's nice to go back and forth between the edge and the back.

I'm planning to buy the 6" lap discs, and a magnetic pad (self adhesive, sticks to the Worksharp glass wheels) to hold the disc in place. That should make replacing a disc trivial. I just need to dig up my Worksharp from one of the boxes somewhere...and the wheels from another box....

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought an extra glass plate and now have 5 grits of diamond plate attached with adhesive to the glass plates and leather on one plate. Yeah, I had to make a slightly longer screw to secure the plate. It works fantastic. I clean them often with WD-40 and use dry.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
The electroplated diamond disks that @Mike Davis mentioned are inexpensive (currently under $18 on Amazon) and they work very well. I've had them on my WS3000 since 2015 and have used them every time I sharpen my chisels or plane blades. I don't have a leather surfaced plate, but instead charge an MDF plate with honing paste for the final step.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS