Working ON the Shop, Not IN It...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
My big ol' Craftsman Table Saw just bit the dust after more than 20-years in my shop. Well, it didn't really die, but it developed a wobble in the arbor itself. I may be able to get someone to machine an arbor, for me, and I may be able to fix it, but in the meantime, I still have stuff to do. I'll have to decide where my investment is best placed...repair or replacement.

Today was spent building sleds and jigs for a little consumer-grade, direct-drive table saw my son had. It was so lightweight I put some 2x8 skids on it to keep it from toppling over, and wrapped 60-pounds of ankle weights around the cross braces.

The things we do...

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
What is the saws model #? Might just be the bearings are worn. Now, if you have a seized and/or spun a bearing then that is another kettle of fish.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
What is the saws model #? Might just be the bearings are worn. Now, if you have a seized and/or spun a bearing then that is another kettle of fish.
It's a model 113.298240 - from back in the "Made in America" days.

I just found a series of "rebuild" videos for this specific saw. It's been a workhorse...I'll give it a shot.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
I just looked at the online manual for that saw. Dismantling the saw guts and replacing bearings is pretty straightforward. If I was closer, I would lend a hand if needed. Good time to give it a good cleaning and lube.If it is bearings then you can get a set delivered for under $15.00 (this was a couple of years ago.

Good luck.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
I just looked at the online manual for that saw. Dismantling the saw guts and replacing bearings is pretty straightforward. If I was closer, I would lend a hand if needed. Good time to give it a good cleaning and lube.If it is bearings then you can get a set delivered for under $15.00 (this was a couple of years ago.

Good luck.
Thanks for the encouragement, Mark. I thought I had the manual, but found a manual online, too. I'm going to start on it this week. I think I'll replace the aluminum pulleys with steel while I'm at it.

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Thanks for the encouragement, Mark. I thought I had the manual, but found a manual online, too. I'm going to start on it this week. I think I'll replace the aluminum pulleys with steel while I'm at it.

Machined pulleys are a great addition. You can get a link belt from HF for about $20 if you don't already have one. I never used one but there is an alignment kit that hooks on to the trunnion to help set the blade parallel. The best thing I ever added to my saw was a Delta T2 fence. Keep it clean greased and aligned and they are real workhorse saws.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Most likely the bearings are 6203-2RS. 2RS means they have rubber seals on both sides. Fastenal has them for $1.96 each.

CommGuy107

New User
Dan
So far, so good. One NCWW member hooked me up with another NCWW member selling a brand new arbor for my saw at about half the price and MUCH quicker delivery, I'm sure.

Got the arbor today, so all I need is for someone to distract my wife so I can walk straight through the house and into the shop. Takers? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS