Work “Going Away” Plaque Build

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
One of my coworkers got a new job so next week is his last week. I decided to make him a “going away” plaque as we called them in the Marine Corps instead of the generic framed photo my office usually does, so decided to show the design, process, and finished product as it takes shape.

I started yesterday with a picture from Google and a quick SketchUp model of the base. The pic below is what I’m trying to replicate as this is one of the specific aircraft we see daily. The base is going to be walnut and I already glued up a poplar panel to make the tail.

6BD0BE7C-0BBD-4FAC-96D0-E3E021D3298B.jpeg

Of course the model didn’t save, so no pics of that.

This is the first big project I’ve done with my laser engraver so the past two days have been spent figuring that out. Below are some in process and near complete pics of the engraved plaque. It is a hard maple scrap planed down to about 1/4”. My engraver is a second-hand, cheap knockoff from Amazon and I only use free software (I’m a cheap skate 😁).

17568FC5-8AB9-481E-9CE1-2F13FE6E8025.jpeg
4030D082-4A2D-49D3-8812-C3BFB127139A.jpeg

The only walnut I could find local was 4/4, so I had to mill it and glue together to make a 2.5” slab. The plan for tomorrow is to get the base completed and start on the tail.

B7BDDF41-1482-44A3-8D8D-CE61A6E53396.jpeg

Follow along for more to come!

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I flew from NAS Atsugi to NAS Cubi Point in the back of a C130 once. It took 7 hours to cover the 2000 miles. That was 40 years ago and my butt still hurts.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I flew from NAS Atsugi to NAS Cubi Point in the back of a C130 once. It took 7 hours to cover the 2000 miles. That was 40 years ago and my butt still hurts.
Funny, I flew from Iwakuni to Cubi Point 39 years ago in one of those. Cargo net sets ain't fun

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Funny, I flew from Iwakuni to Cubi Point 39 years ago in one of those. Cargo net sets ain't fun
I was in Iwakuni, but it was more like 8 years ago. I have close to 1,000 flight hours in a C-130 but all as crew so my experience was significantly more comfortable.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
Finished in time and am very happy with the result. One of my coworkers used a Cricut machine to make the vinyl letters, numbers, and Pegasus. The rudder line is automotive pin striping.

Attachments

• 1EE4A9DE-40B7-470D-9EC1-9FBCB6B6244A.jpeg
    1EE4A9DE-40B7-470D-9EC1-9FBCB6B6244A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 62

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
That's pretty sharp. Makes me want to reenlist just tot get me one.

What did you eventually do to cut the vertical stabilizer?

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
That's pretty sharp. Makes me want to reenlist just tot get me one.

What did you eventually do to cut the vertical stabilizer?
One of my coworkers had a similar plaque from his time in the Air Force, so I used that as a template and cut it out with a jig saw. Cleaned up well with a belt sander. I used a 3/8” round over bit to soften the edges.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
One of my coworkers had a similar plaque from his time in the Air Force, so I used that as a template and cut it out with a jig saw. Cleaned up well with a belt sander. I used a 3/8” round over bit to soften the edges.
Neccesity,,, the mother of invention.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS