Woodworker BOUGHT cabinets

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, the glass alone if bought through regular channels would have costed more than just buying the darn things. Solid oak BTW. Yea, Ikea. I do have a backlog of requests from family for my shop anyway, so one less project does not leave me idle. I was actually quite impressed with their quality. Two of them.

Attachments

• 20240306_085441.jpg
    20240306_085441.jpg
    897.4 KB · Views: 131

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
Sadly, absent a compelling non-financial reason (sentimentality, or personal interest in the making) buying is nearly always the right answer...

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I build as I enjoy it. I build as I usually can't buy what I want. I build as usually quality of anything I can pay for stinks. In this case they are very well built and just what I wanted. Now I can get on with 16 picture frames. Each needs to be unique of course.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I build as I enjoy it. I build as I usually can't buy what I want. I build as usually quality of anything I can pay for stinks. In this case they are very well built and just what I wanted. Now I can get on with 16 picture frames. Each needs to be unique of course.
Same here. It wouldn't make any sense economically for me to build these doors.

I've got about $350 materials in 6 doors and 6 drawer fronts and probably 8 hours?

That's $30 each in materials, and I have yet to finish.

I've got about $250 in the boxes, slides, another 12 hours.

Handles and hinges are recycled from other project.

Still have counter top to think about.............

Add in $50/hr labor and ........................vs. 3 gallons of gas to IKEA :oops:

But they fit MY space and are configured the way I want them.

IMG_3530.JPG

IMG_3517.jpg
IMG_3518.JPG

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I bought doors when I added a pantry to the kitchen. Should have bought them instead of stripping and repairing all the rest when I refinished everything.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors