Woodtek 17" bandsaw opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonc

New User
jak
As some may have seen I've asked about the Rikon bandsaw last week.I'm really undecided in general as to the brand.I don't want to have to upgrade bandsaws again.I want this for the long haul.
So does anyone have experience with the Woodtek bandsaws? I'm eying the 17" because I got a sales flyer today in the mail.At $750,the price is very decent.I've used Woodtek in the past,but not a bandsaw.
Any opinion would help my confusion at this time.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
never used one but they look a lot like the grizzly. probly made in the same factory.8-O 17" is a nice size though and you can play touchy feely for a short trip to graham.:-D that is a great price for that size saw.:icon_thum laguna is the way to go if you can afford it. i have the delta 18" and it has never disapointed me but its a little pricey compared to ricon , grizz or woodtek. I personally would never make that large a purchase without being able to see it up close. look at the guides and the guide post real close. movement in these areas is not good IMHO. minimax is a great saw too but $ is greater too...

fred p

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
When I was hunting bandsaws, I looked at the Woodtek. They seemed to be pretty well made units. As Fred says, they all seem to be made in the same factory.

newtonc

New User
jak
I will 100% agree that seeing the machine in question in person is absolutely certain.But I wanted to hear opinions from the ones who have used them.I started looking at the Rikon 18",and still might,but there is a lot of negative feedback about the blade tension mechanism.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I will 100% agree that seeing the machine in question in person is absolutely certain.But I wanted to hear opinions from the ones who have used them.I started looking at the Rikon 18",and still might,but there is a lot of negative feedback about the blade tension mechanism.

I raised a flag a while back on the Rikon 10-345 tension issue. I got one of the first saws released with the "new" tension assembly in January, 2006 and it was problematic. I returned it and bought a different bandsaw. I wrote a post here detailing the flaw.

However, a lot of folks have bought the Rikon since then and seem to be pleased with the saw's performance. I bet they have straightened out the problem. They have a great rep for good customer support. I think a NCWWer bought the Rikon 18 recently and gave it "two thumbs up".

I would look at Griz, too. I believe they have a referral program so they can find someone nearby with a machine you'd like to buy and you can contact them and arrange a visit, maybe a test drive.

Maybe someone with the new Rikon 18 will extend an invitation...or maybe a Griz 17?

Chuck

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
two thumbs up here for the Rikon 18", resawed about 30 ft of 8/4X8" maple yesterday, (prolly with the wrong blade, too*) and it did not seem to mind at all.

cmartinson

New User
chad
We have a Woodtek 21? I think at work that we use alot. Especially resawing. When I decide to get a saw at home I will seriously consider a woodtek machine. This one is 10 yrs old or better and sees a lot of abuse from guys who don't care about machines, especially if they are not the ones paying for replacements or repairs. The guides are bearings on three sides top and bottom. Don't know whatelse to say cept one tough machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS