Woodsmith coming to a TV near you- Sort Of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I used to get really ticked at WETA (PBS) in DC, the big Kahuna of PBS stations. They filled their programming with so many talking heads and fru-fru gourmet cooking shows it made me sick. Now I now there are lots of hoity toity viewers in the DC area, but puh-lease, give me a break, not everyone is into that stuff. They dropped Roy years ago- too much good ol' boy for the DC folks, no Router Workshop, no Scott Phillips. NYW and TOH were always getting preemted or rescheduled. They had their pledge drive right in the middle of the NYW and TOH season, and when it was over they just picked up the series in progress, not pick it up where they left off so I would have wait and hope they would show the ones not broadcast during the rerun season. They will not get any of my money!!!!!

By the way, do any of you get Cabinet Maker magazine or read it online? There was a pic of Gale O'Rourke (hangs out at WoodNet, WoodCentral, Sawmill Creek?) on the cover of the Sep 2007 issue. She is supposed to be getting her own WW show- "Woodworking Together" by Gail O'Rourke. There used to be a trailer on U-Tube but not sure this is the one.

obj426geo821pg3p4.jpg

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Since PBS is not a woodworking network anymore, How about trying DIY on cable or Directtv or Dish networks.
dick

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Best of luck in a losing battle. The staff at UNC Public TV could care less about woodworking shows. Think about it- Norm used to come on on late Saturday afternoon, and again on Sunday morning, just before TOH. Now he is in the middle of Saturday afternoon, when most of us are either in the yard, or in the shop. They carry Underhill as the flagship station, but all other sations pay them for this program. Ever remember seeing either The Router Workshop, or Scott Phillips program on UNC? TWA used to do a session at the "beg a thon", but no more as they carry minimal woodworking programs. They basically want free labor, but give nothing in response. When was the last time you watched the fat guy doing the grilling? They have sponsers willing to commit $$$$ to have that program on. How many programs can our local WW companies sponser?

Good point Bruce, we would probably be better off doing nothing, because if you don't ask you definitely won't receive. So instead of fighting for something that we believe in, we should just lay down and take what they are going to give us.:BangHead:

Not me, I'm a fighter. I believe in fighting the good fight. I vote always.
Remember " you gotta be in it, to win it". No participation is a dead end.

Doug, thanks for this post , I e-mailed WUNC.

Jimmy:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I sent them a note also, but, as some of the guys are saying, they are gonna do what they want to do. Too bad the program director doesn't make sawdust.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Reggie,

The shame of it all is that this post has had almost 350 views and if all the members of NCWW (1,253) e-mailed WUNC, they would definitely respond. This is like election day, when people don't vote because they say one vote doesn't make a difference, but they wake up the next day and find out that something (or someone)that they didn't want, got voted in by a hand full of votes. We have the power and choose not to use it. If you don't e-mail then you have no right complaining about the programming.

I'll step down off the soap box now.

Jimmy:)

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I got the same "canned response to my email. But I maintain hope. Let's all put our 2 cents in!

Alan: I read a post from Gail on one of those sites, I think it was SMC, that her WWing show did not get off the ground. I think it was a post where she gave a tour of her shop. (It might have been on Family Woodworking . org)

Doug

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I got the same "canned response to my email. But I maintain hope. Let's all put our 2 cents in!

Alan: I read a post from Gail on one of those sites, I think it was SMC, that her WWing show did not get off the ground. I think it was a post where she gave a tour of her shop. (It might have been on Family Woodworking . org)

Doug

Too bad, she is a lot easier on the eyes than Roy, Scott, and Norm :-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

hannah01

New User
Joe
I sent them an email and got the form letter response.

Let's face it, 100% woodworking shows appeal to a (relatively) small demographic. Unless they work it in with home improvement and decorating, it doesn't get much interest. However, if the minority is vocal enough it can change things. So everyone send them a message, and let's see what happens. :icon_thum

dhicks

New User
Doug Hicks
I am incredibly impressed with all of the great responses about trying to get "The Woodsmith Shop" on public television in North Carolina and the surrounding area! :lol:
All of those e-mails, letters, and calls to the public television stations will have an impact. Though a group letter/petition might help, we've been told they listen to individual requests as much as anything. This week the programmers all over the country should be getting a package of information all about the show and a DVD that includes a trailer and the first episode. So your timing is perfect.

In addition, I suspect they look for shows that they can get local sponsors for. So if any of you know of possible local sponsors (woodworking stores, tool companies, lumberyards, etc.), please contact them and ask if they would be interested in sponsoring such a show. If so, have that potential sponsor contact UNC-TV. If there is some real interest from a local sponsor I could even send them a sample DVD to evaluate.
- Doug Hicks for "The Woodsmith Shop"

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Though a group letter/petition might help, we've been told they listen to individual requests as much as anything.

Very good to know...so we will keep at this on an individual level

...if any of you know of possible local sponsors (woodworking stores, tool companies, lumberyards, etc.), please contact them and ask if they would be interested in sponsoring such a show. . . If there is some real interest from a local sponsor I could even send them a sample DVD to evaluate.

...does anyone here know any woodworking stores, tool companies, lumberyards? hehe That seems like a good idea for someone to make a special trip to their favorite store! Seems like someone would take notice, especially since this is coming from such a well recognized 'brand'.

Chris

kbcrafter

New User
Kevin
Thank you Doug for the information about the new show, I have been busy but I emailed UNC today,,
Thanks again
Kevin

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Sent another email to the Charlotte station and received this reply ...

Dear Woodsmith Shop fans,
At this time, WTVI does not have an appropriate timeslot open for this
series. However, due to the overwhelming requests pouring in I have put
this in our overnight schedule beginning January 5, 2008. It will air
Friday night or rather Saturday mornings at 1am. Please record for
viewing at your convenience. If anything changes in our being able to
schedule on a Saturday or Sunday daytime, I will let you all know.
Thank you for watching and supporting WTVI.
Regards,
Regina

--
Regina Berry
Auction/Program Manager
WTVI
704-371-8828 (direct)
704-335-1358 (fax)
3242 Commonwealth Avenue
Charlotte, NC 28205

WTVI is an essential community resource connecting people in the heart of the Carolinas.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
Cool Jeremy!

Now, ask Santa for a DVR. Also ask for a DVD burner that can hook up to said DVR. Once you get it hooked up on Christmas morning, let us know and what you address is and we will send you boxes of DVD's to burn the episodes onto!:-D

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Well, move fast and get the WOOT deal of the day! It's a DVR, a DVD-burner and so much more ;-)

http://www.woot.com/
Polaroid DVD Recorder with 160GB Hard Drive and ATSC Tuner

$99.99 + $5 shipping

I would, except I'm working on convincing her I need more wood! She seems to think the little bit of oak I have is supposed to last me forever. :-D

Thanks for the heads up though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS