Wooden Router Lift?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When we think of router lift's, we see lots of closely machined metal. But the ShopNotes (issue 122,) / Woodsmith router lift is mostly made from wood. Steve Ramsey has an excellent video of his build, plus Woodsmith also has a video. Just about got mine completed. Working on mounting to router table insert. Main deviation from plans was to tap end of threaded rod for a 3/8-16 bolt, turn hex coupler round, and use "V" groove bit on Sears molding head to cut the track parts. Also bought a couple of regular nuts,( to make a jam nut assembly,) from Fastenal to make adding stop nut to threaded rod easier. You have to thread a stop nut down almost the entire length (12" - 3/4-16 ) threaded rod. About two hundred revolutions. An impact gun makes quick work of this

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
One can make a lot of things from wood, least we forget apple wood bearing blocks. But wood is not dimensionally stable. It does have a very low Q, so that is good for vibration. A bit if all-thread does not a Acme drive make.

But, some are insanely over-engineered.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Bruce, my router lift is also home made but I followed plans loosely from American Woodworker and used 2 machined steel rods sliding on oilite bearings + wooden parts. The router motor is in a carriage of wood. It moves up and down when I turn a nut on the end of a piece of 5/16 all thread. The steel rods support the carriage. Anyway, my combination of wood and metal works very well. I like my home made router table a lot and have no desire for a commercially made table or lift.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Jim, I've had all the parts on hand to make the AWW router lift for years. Even have the blocks glued up. Just couldn't get motivated to proceed. If I built the AWW router lift, I would make one revision. That's to rotate it 180 degrees, so lifting screw is at the front, instead of the rear, and add a vacuum port to router clamp. Currently those plans are available for FREE from Popular Woodworking's web site. Exact same as when it appeared in AWW.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS