Wooden/low angle spokeshave

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have never owned or used a spokeshave so who knows why I thought I could make one. But eventually I want to build some chairs and I have heard a spokeshave can be handy :).

69CG6887.JPG

View image in gallery

Anyway I picked up a Hock iron from http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/. They have good prices and over 75$ they have free shipping. I also picked up a Hock iron for a wooden smoother so expect another review later.

The first challenge was finding some instructions. hocktools.com provides these: http://www.hocktools.com/teachshave/TEACHSHAVE.HTM but they are for the larger blade. I just used thinner stock to make mine. I also found these instructions for the Veritas kit: http://www.leevalley.com/US/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=49758

I used a scrap piece of Cherry for the body. For the ware section I mortised in a piece of wenge from Andy (CarvedTones) (Thanks again Andy!). This wood probably isn't the best choice, live and learn :).

I opted to leave out any adjustment and just filed the mouth to give a thin non-jamming shaving. I have no idea if this was done right but I enjoyed it and have already used it to ease the edges of some flat work. The best part about building one of these is it only takes a couple hours. It feels great to finish something :).

If I had it to do again I would probably just buy the Veritas kit because it comes with a brass ware plate.

Oh, by the way, anyone want to tell me how to use this tool? :)
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Salem. I have an old wooden spokeshave I picked up at an auction years ago. It is one of the sweetest tools in my shop. I don't use it often, but when I do, it's a pleasure. I couldn't begin to tell you how to use it, because I'm probably doing it wrong, but it sure is sweet. :wsmile:

Bill

PS: I posted some pics of the band saw fence I made, as you asked me to. Did you ever get around to taking a look? They're in the gallery under one of my albums. Let me know if you have any questions.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Sorry I didn't reply Bill. I did check it out. And I like it. Does the drift mechanism work well? I had penned up something similar except with a second knob. I was afraid a pin like you used would loosen up after time. Is yours holding strong? I was also wondering if it deflects significantly because it is not attached at the far end.

From my questions you can imagine how overbuilt and overthought the design I have penned up is. I tend to overthink things...
Salem

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Sorry I didn't reply Bill. I did check it out. And I like it. Does the drift mechanism work well? I had penned up something similar except with a second knob. I was afraid a pin like you used would loosen up after time. Is yours holding strong? I was also wondering if it deflects significantly because it is not attached at the far end.

From my questions you can imagine how overbuilt and overthought the design I have penned up is. I tend to overthink things...
Salem

I have the same problem, except instead of over thinking things, I just tend to over build them. Thinking is so over rated. :gar-La;

Seriously, the pivot pin seems to be holding up fine. It really doesn't get that much of a workout, since I set the angle for each blade, then leave it there until I change blades, which is very infrequent. I suspect the plastic locking knob on the back will wear out before the pin. As for deflection, I haven't seen it so far, but I did consider it when I built the fence. If need be, I can clamp the far end to the support piece I added. Most of the pressure on the fence occurs before the blade, close to the supported end of the fence. Beyond the blade, the fence is just a guide w/ very little pressure against it.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors